LRT operating stats from FY2008

TheNiche

Considering that the average speed during rush hour NOW is in the low 20 mph range (not "very nearly free flowing" as Niche claims), maybe it did average 12 mph pre-reconstruction.

A quick look at Transtar will confirm this.

They were even saying during reconstruction of I-10 that it was not going to relieve congestion during rush hour. It would still be bumper to bumper, but there won't be backups at all times of the day.

They were even saying during reconstruction of I-10 that it was not going to relieve congestion during rush hour. It would still be bumper to bumper, but there won't be backups at all times of the day.

I-10 is starting to get that way already.

I was very surprised by how bumper to bumper it was for as long as it was.

I'm just curious to know what the complaints are about.

Is it about the lousy braking and acceleration that some drivers have?

No "personal space" on trains at times?

Dirty cars?

were they upset that the train took off without them?

Excellent question, as I've had each of the complaints listed at one time or another.

Another, less easily addressed complaint has to do with the conduct of some passengers (loud, vulgar talking, eating, feet on seats, etc.) With a bus, there's at least a faint chance that the driver might exert some control over the shenannigans.

I noticed that the number of rail accidents in the information provided to TheNiche is exactly twice the number reported in METRO's own FY08 summary:

FY2008 Year End Fiscal and Management Report See p. 35.

Not sure why that is, but interesting.

That is odd. The spreadsheet I have indicates 104 light rail accidents as the total for the year, but if I add up each of the months, it comes out to 52.

What is also odd is that the total number of METRO accidents excluding light rail are indicated as 472, however the report you linked to indicated 524...which is precisely 52 more. And those numbers do tally from the monthly totals correctly.

That is odd. The spreadsheet I have indicates 104 light rail accidents as the total for the year, but if I add up each of the months, it comes out to 52.

What is also odd is that the total number of METRO accidents excluding light rail are indicated as 472, however the report you linked to indicated 524...which is precisely 52 more. And those numbers do tally from the monthly totals correctly.

That is even more interesting. :blink:

Is it a difference between the two reports as to what is defined as a rail-related accident? And if so, why is it off by exactly half (or twice, depending on your perspective)?

To make it clear: I take every report generated by Frank Wilson's METRO with a huge grain of salt. But I don't know anything about the people who provided your data either. I am not passing judgement, just noting a peculiar discrepancy.

Archived