Jaywalkers Beware

Article in today's Chronicle.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/m...politan/3222431

Since my office sits at the corner of Main and Preston, across from the rail station, and a previous report listed this intersection as the worst for jaywalking, I suppose I should be on the lookout for the pedestrian polizei.

I can't help but feel this is a misplaced priority, encouraged by overly aggressive motorists, who feel that pedestrian activity should be the walk from the valet stand to the restaurant. I cross these streets a dozen or more times a day. While there is the occasional pedi who darts to the rail station to catch a train, virtually all of us pedestrians know well the legend of the Houston driver, who runs the light first, ask questions later.

Add to this life threatening danger the terrible timing of Main Street lights, aggravated by some train drivers who do not seem to know how to activate the priority button, and one may wait 5 minutes to cross a 50 foot street...oftentimes with no train or car in sight.

Oh well, the joys of urban living...

• The title was changed to Jaywalkers Beware