Street Signs, Traffic Signals And Street Lights

Guest danax

Guest danax

Has anyone else driven east on Franklin around Minute Maid and noticed the street signs? More than half of the signs, side streets too, up to the 59 say "Theater District". Some correctly say "Minute Maid Park District".

Ok, I'm assuming they're just errors but they've been there quite awhile. Has no one noticed yet? Are the City sign employees smoking pot all day long? Are there plans to expand the Theater District way down there? I'm sure the Fiesta Ballroom has it's moments of high drama but.....It's gotta be just one of those embarrassing goofs that no one has gotten around to fixing. How many tourists have driven that stretch in a rent-a-car and wondered, what the...?

And they're changing out the street signs in the Upper Kirby District. They are not green, but red-orange, the exact color of the Bellaire signs. I would prefer to have all of the city street signs the same with colorful banners indicating the various districts. That way the City boundaries are unified but the districts are distinctive.

Also, I've noticed that they are methodically replacing the dangling, construction-yellow street lights with the upgrade black on solid pole models. Yay. One of the first things I noticed when I moved here 13 years ago from CA were those redneck looking yellow things hanging in the middle of intersections, swingin in the breeze. That reinforced any backwoods ideas about Texas that I had. I half expected a tumbleweed to blow across while waiting for a light. They make seeing the light change more difficult too.

Are those old street lights on Kirby original from the 20s-30s? They really add class and I would love to see more in the way of period-correct street lighting in some of our other historic districts. I think Heights Blvd has a few too. And, some of the older street bridges with the ornamental features should be pressure washed.

Has anyone else driven east on Franklin around Minute Maid and noticed the street signs? More than half of the signs, side streets too, up to the 59 say "Theater District". Some correctly say "Minute Maid Park District".

I actually think the whole 'district' scheme is very silly. Skyline District? St Joseph District? huh??? How about 'Downtown District' or 'Midtown' or 'East End'--districts that really matter. Lord knows no one has any idea where I am when I say I work in the Skyline District, LOL.

Ok, I'm assuming they're just errors but they've been there quite awhile. Has no one noticed yet? Are the City sign employees smoking pot all day long?

Given how many calls it has taken to 311 to get the signals timed properly on Travis St (10 calls and they are still screwed up!), I can say with a fair amount of certainty they are smoking *something* all day long.

And they're changing out the street signs in the Upper Kirby District. They are not green, but red-orange, the exact color of the Bellaire signs. I would prefer to have all of the city street signs the same with colorful banners indicating the various districts. That way the City boundaries are unified but the districts are distinctive.

I noticed the new signs yesterday when I was going to Berryhill on Revere. They are definitely bright, though I find them harder to read than the old green or blue/white signs. Wonder if Upper Kirby is using TIRZ money for those signs? ;)

Are those old street lights on Kirby original from the 20s-30s? They really add class and I would love to see more in the way of period-correct street lighting in some of our other historic districts. I think Heights Blvd has a few too. And, some of the older street bridges with the ornamental features should be pressure washed.

Do you mean between San Felipe and Shepard? I think they are original, or at least replicas of what was there originally. Norhill is getting them too, paid for by their civic association/donations, I believe. It is an expensive deal, because there are only a limited number approved by CenterPoint, and since they put out less light, you have to install them at shorter intervals than standard street lamps.