Endomondo

Realized something over the weekend. Despite no longer having an iphone dataplan (use it as a WIFI only itouch), my GPS still works. It didn't occur to me prior to even test the GPS since i figured no useful Apps would run without a network connection.

Not the case.

Endomondo does a very good job at pulling from google maps and retaining them in its cache. Meaning, after about 10 minutes of using the App to view a map of everything within 610 at a medium-close scale, and everything within 8 and other pertinent parts of Houston at a slightly pulled back scale, I now have my very own TOMTOM for free and without a data plan.

And, since the GPS still(even if the cache trick fails ya and you can't view while driving) tracks avg time, speed, distance to your account on the website, I've had a fun time the last few days taking slightly alternative commute routes and comparing them.

And seeing your speed graph spike to ludicrous levels once you hit the Westpark tollway is lots of fun.

Highly recommend this app for anyone with a GPS enabled phone.

Oh yeah.. and I'm sure its useful for runners and bikers as well. While I haven't tested it yet while running, it has a coach feature that will tell you your distance, pace, etc at whatever increments you set.

I hate to toot the android phone in a apple thread, but I can't help it...

the version 5 of google maps that's going to be released will have a neat feature that lets you download map content to be cached and used later, so similar to the tool you're using there.

regardless of the phone and the method of the technology, where it is really handy for people that are still in a data plan for a phone is when you travel out of the country and have to use a roaming data plan, you can just go in the maps and download the content you'll need for the location you're traveling to (prior to leaving, or from a wifi connection when you're there) and not have to pay some outrageous price for data, cause it will already be cached on your phone :)

I hate to toot the android phone in a apple thread, but I can't help it...

the version 5 of google maps that's going to be released will have a neat feature that lets you download map content to be cached and used later, so similar to the tool you're using there.

That is cool. The google maps app for the iphone does do that.. but the cache isn't as big and doesnt last as long as you are talking about. Perhaps, apple will allow the same in future OS updates since the App certainly allows for the capability.

Purchased Omaps App a few weeks ago. Like 99% of the downloadable maps in the appstore, this one uses http://www.openstreetmap.org/ as their base map. Hell, Omap might even be put out directly by openstreetmap, i don't know. The App is good in that it isn't city specific. You can download a map for anywhere. It's terrible though is how long it takes to download those maps. Took me 4 hours to download all of Houston over Wifi. And that base map is terrible.

I now have my very own TOMTOM for free and without a data plan.

Disclaimer: I'm a dude, ergo my innate navigating and geographic know how skills are impeccable. I do not NEED a Tomtom.

It's just reaaaaly cool tracking yourself in real-time.

And seeing your speed graph spike to ludicrous levels once you hit the Westpark tollway is lots of fun.

spike Plateau

Archived