Refinancing - Homestead Exemption

OkieEric

So I got my property tax bill today and noticed that they are not applying my homestead exemption (which I had from 2006 and on). I refinanced early last year and my wife was added to the title. Was I actually supposed to reapply for homestead exemption? Obviously, this makes a huge difference in my bill

Yep.

That doesn't make any sense, though. Is this common knowledge? I'm the same person in the same house. Does a refinance count as a purchase and somehow me (+ wife) as a new owner? I don't see anything on the hcad site that refers to this particular situation

Just called - guess this isn't all that uncommon. Basically since I refinanced and got married around the same time, they showed a change in owner (wife was added to deed) and apparently by default removed the homestead exemption. Anyway, they said that I can ignore the April 30 cut off and re-file. Unfortunately, the length of time it will take them to process means that I will probably have to pay the higher bill, but I should at least get a refund.

Just called - guess this isn't all that uncommon. Basically since I refinanced and got married around the same time, they showed a change in owner (wife was added to deed) and apparently by default removed the homestead exemption. Anyway, they said that I can ignore the April 30 cut off and re-file. Unfortunately, the length of time it will take them to process means that I will probably have to pay the higher bill, but I should at least get a refund.

That sounds like the HCAD, alright.

Be sure to ask whether the starting value for your old exemption got reset; depending on the circumstances of your property (and HCAD's whim), that may come back to bite you. If they give you any lip, remind them that you have continuously and without interruption occupied the domicile for however many years and that the exemption should reflect that.

Archived