Train Policy Change

Yankee_in_TX

I've noticed about the last 4 weeks I can hear trains (25th and Shepherd) whereas they mostly vanished with the implementation of the quiet zones.

My wife (who grew up in Western Nebraska) said it's because cold air carries the noise further.

Did the quiet zones change or is the wife right?

The tracks to your south are a little over two miles from you. These are in a quiet zone.

The tracks to your north are less than a mile from you. These are not in a quiet zone. So yeah, if you've only been noticing it recently and the only thing that has changed is the air temperature, then your wife is most likely correct.

The trains sound like they are on the Washington corridor tracks to me...

Cheers

James

I am pretty sure a few trains have violated the quiet zone on the Washington Ave. tracks. When West U got a quiet zone, trains would frequently be in violation. West U began piling on fines. Then the trains stopped violating their quiet zone.

Y'know, I heard trains too come to think of it. No doubt in my mind it was Washington Ave. At my previous place close to White Oak the winter months always made for a louder train signal...cold air and lack of tree foliage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am pretty sure a few trains have violated the quiet zone on the Washington Ave. tracks. When West U got a quiet zone, trains would frequently be in violation. West U began piling on fines. Then the trains stopped violating their quiet zone.

West U. and any other city can't issue fines to railroads.....they can, but they will be tossed because railroads are covered by the Fed Railroad Administration and cities and stated don't have jurisdiction over them for things like noise, blocking streets, and a number of other issues that have lead to "standoffs" with local police and railroad crews and sometimes railroad police and local police with the local police threatening arrest of a crew and the railroad police saying nope not going to happen

one thing you need to remember is there is no way to pull over a train and give it a ticket for blowing the horn....you can identify the train of course by the engine numbers and the time of day and tracks, but when the local law enforcement calls the railroad about how to fine the engineer or the railroad or whoever they want to fine they will be reminded they don't have that authority

as for the standoffs above......police have gone in and ordered crews to move that were blocking streets, the crew can call it dispatch and ask to move, but of the dispatch refuses then the train sits PERIOD and of course the issue is the cop cant technically FORCE the engineer to move it and the cop does not know how to move it or knows better than to try....and if the cop takes the engineer and crew to jail......well the train will definitely sit blocking then because another crew is just not around the corner.....by this time the railroad police with federal interstate jurisdiction have shown up and that is when the belly bumping starts and the local police back down

so West U may have communicated with the railroad and cut down on the incidents of errant horns, but they could not fine the RR

• 3 weeks later...

You are likely hearing train horns because neither of the Sawyer Street crossings (and few others) have been upgraded with additional crossing arms and signage indicating "No Train Horn" Heard the train horn while in Target recently.

Although the Quiet Zones have been implemented along Washington, a train engineer can still sound the horn should the need arise.

• The title was changed to Train Policy Change

Archived