HAIF.com

IronTiger

I was just dropping by the HAIF but accidentally typed in http://www.haif.com.

It seems to be mostly an Israeli ad placeholder site, but hey! The site says that the domain is for sale. I think that haif.com would broaden the spectrum for HAIF-usage. What do you think?

All of my links to here have stopped working...I had to google and click to get here.

Sounds good to me. But you know I have been thinking about the HAIF. Years ago when I found this site it was probably because of a search that had something to do with architecture. Today if you think about it the HAIF has become much more then that now. To appeal to more people that are not interested in architecture the meaning of "HAIF" could be changed. For instance it could stand for Houston Area Information Forum. Thats just me thinking, please don't take offense to those thoughts editor, you have done an excellent job in running this site.

I was just dropping by the HAIF but accidentally typed in http://www.haif.com.

It seems to be mostly an Israeli ad placeholder site, but hey! The site says that the domain is for sale. I think that haif.com would broaden the spectrum for HAIF-usage. What do you think?

Not Israeli, it's a Saudi domain squatter. I've tried a number of times over the years to contact this person so see what his price is, but he does not respond to either e-mails or telephone messages.

That's why I registered http://TheHAIF.com as a shortcut for you guys.

All of my links to here have stopped working...I had to google and click to get here.

That's strange. I haven't changed anything around here in months. Are your links still not working today? Can you post a URL you're having trouble reaching?

Sounds good to me. But you know I have been thinking about the HAIF. Years ago when I found this site it was probably because of a search that had something to do with architecture. Today if you think about it the HAIF has become much more then that now. To appeal to more people that are not interested in architecture the meaning of "HAIF" could be changed. For instance it could stand for Houston Area Information Forum. Thats just me thinking, please don't take offense to those thoughts editor, you have done an excellent job in running this site.

This idea comes up every couple of years. The last time I proposed making this Houston Area Information Forum, people were overwhelmingly against it. A lot of people think that word "architecture" is intimidating and keeps people away. Some people think that's a good thing, because it keeps the kiddies and mouth-breathers away (mostly).

Because the forum's content has evolved over the years I've started emphasizing just "HAIF" as an ambiguous wordmark (like "Google" or "Endless" or "Amazon" or "Zappos").

I like the idea, but often when a domain name goes up for sale, the owner will ask a high price for it (sometimes even in the thousands). That might the case with haif.com. Would it be worth it?

When HoustonArchitecture.com became available, the HAIF community chipped in and raised $1,600 to purchase it.

Things have changed a lot since then, though. I don't think HAIF.com would be worth more than $200 or so.

I'm curious to know if there was an uptick in traffice now that some time has passed.

Surprisingly, that's a complicated question. Or at least the answer is complicated.

Short answer: No, but it seems to have helped keep things steady.

Long answer:

Since we got the new domain, the internet has changed a lot. A LOT. Here are just a few ways:

• HAIF's biggest competition used to be TV and newspapers. Now it's Facebook and the iPhone.
  • Millions of people only visit Facebook, and have no idea there is an internet past FB. It's like the 90's all over again when millions of people thought AOL was "the intarweb."
  • For hundreds of thousands of people, the iPhone is now their primary or only computer. And if you don't have an app, you're not even on their radar anymore.
  • Google has changed many times over, and continues to change almost monthly, much to the frustration of just about everyone else on the web. Google helped build HAIF, but is now destroying it. This is a complex issue I just don't have the energy to explain here.
  • Bing is on the rise, as more and more people are dissatisfied with Google trying to second-guess them. This has helped HAIF, as it appears Bing has a small crush on HAIF. This started long before I moved in across the street from Bing headquarters.

I'm very actively trying to push HAIF in alternate forms. Specifically, Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, and the iPhone/Android. I've seen a lot of grumpy old hacks call all of these things "fads" or worse. That's fine for them, if they want to fade into obscurity. But I'd like to future-proof HAIF.

Some day the web will disappear just like its predecessors WAIS, Gopher, CompuServe, Q-Link, and HyperCard did. I'd like HAIF to continue as a functioning society of Houston-concerned individuals, even if it means HAIF someday moves beyond the web and onto something I don't control.

Archived