Pioneering

As a recent grad, I'm looking for a neighborhood in town in need of a couple of urban pioneers who are willing to do the dirty work for some lucky landlord.

Weighing the pros and cons, we just want a place where we can experiment with neo-masonry and structural plastics. More than anything we want a place that's safe during the daytime and has a tabula rasa sense of freedom for weekend warriors. The only catch is that our jobs are downtown so our commute should be no longer than 15 minutes by freeway or 30 minutes by public transportation.

So if you were in your mid 20's and made about 50k/yr where would you start looking?

In my mind, you're basically asking, "Where in the East End should I move to?"

I second Broadmoor. If you're serious about a commitment to transit, then at some point in the (admittedly poorly-defined) future, you'd have the Eastwood Transit Center serving as the eastern terminus of the University Line. In the mean time you'd still have good bus service, a quick shot downtown along with two different ways to avoid ever getting stuck at a railroad crossing...and good freeway access. Alternate neighborhoods in that immediate area that you should check out are Woodleigh and Moody LB (along the western periphery of Eastwood proper) and Kirby WA, Eastlawn, and Lawndale (generally southeast of Eastwood and immediately north of Broadmoor). Use GIMS to determine boundaries of these different subdivisions. They all seem to meld into one another in a street map, but you'll figure out that there are big differences between neighborhoods once you know what's what. If you build something non-conforming in Eastwood proper, you will piss off your neighbors. You can count on that they will make a push to become a historic district in the near future, and depending on how that plays out, it could impact your plans. The Eastwood Civic Assn. encompasses other neighborhoods, including Broadmoor, and the others that I suggested you look at, so be aware that their influence might bleed over.

There are two other general areas that you should consider. Idylwood should be avoided because of excessive snoot, however Forest Hill should be a contender. It has varied and interesting lots, is surrounded by big parks and cemeteries (instead of crap apartments like Houston Country Club, which should also be considered), and hasn't got a snooty vibe yet. It should be a bit quieter, too, as Lawndale isn't as congested as Wayside, and you're a little bit better removed from the freeways or railroads than you are in the Eastwood area. ...but that also impacts your commute.

The third area to consider is immediately around Settegast Park. It's a small but very nice park adjacent to Rusk Elementary. There has been a little intrusion by townhome developers, but that's mostly fronting Commerce Street. Light rail will pass nearby (and yes, construction is actually progressing), and both it and the roadway will be grade-separated from the freight rail tracks so that you don't get caught up by a train. Mama Ninfa's is within walking distance; so are W.W. Granger and Olshan Hardware, which will come in handy for your weekend warrior-ing. Lots of artists are still active along Commerce Street...although there has been some drama in recent years. And prospects for future genrification would seem fairly good because this is just a pocket of single-family homes that will be more easily absorbed than the glut that's further to the east. There are a couple of downsides; it's still fairly rough, and it's almost completely off-the-radar. It may be a while before your uppity white friends feel safe visiting you at night.

If it were me, I'd go for broke and piss off Eastwood quick, before they knew what hit them. I can't decide whether I'd rather erect a 40-foot tall metallic warehouse taking in the entirety of a residential lot smack dab in the middle of a block or an anatomically-correct residential phallus on Telephone Rd. across from Lantrip Elementary and the big church. (See thread on "NicheLair" and "NicheLair II".)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As a recent grad, I'm looking for a neighborhood in town in need of a couple of urban pioneers who are willing to do the dirty work for some lucky landlord.

Weighing the pros and cons, we just want a place where we can experiment with neo-masonry and structural plastics. More than anything we want a place that's safe during the daytime and has a tabula rasa sense of freedom for weekend warriors. The only catch is that our jobs are downtown so our commute should be no longer than 15 minutes by freeway or 30 minutes by public transportation.

So if you were in your mid 20's and made about 50k/yr where would you start looking?

What is neo-masonry?? Intrigued.

The third area to consider is immediately around Settegast Park. It's a small but very nice park adjacent to Rusk Elementary. There has been a little intrusion by townhome developers, but that's mostly fronting Commerce Street.

Does Rusk have any plans to build on or sell off their land bounded by delano, commerce, and paige?

I was intrigued by the vacant lot for sale across the street there.. but the uncertainty of what might go up across the street made it a little iffy. Just seems if the school ever did a major expansion there, that would be a negative.

Does Rusk have any plans to build on or sell off their land bounded by delano, commerce, and paige?

I was intrigued by the vacant lot for sale across the street there.. but the uncertainty of what might go up across the street made it a little iffy. Just seems if the school ever did a major expansion there, that would be a negative.

Don't know, but I would speculate that school enrollment is incrementally declining. Check historical enrollment data from the TEA or contact HISD's real estate folks.

Edited by TheNiche