Dumped Comcast. Anyone tried Sezmi?

editor

Today while doing the bills I noticed that Comcast is charging me 20 cents a month for my remote control. I'm a little tired of being nickel-and-dimed to death by companies these days, so I got in touch with customer service to have my bill explained.

Long story short; After dealing with two Comcast representatives, I decided to cancel my cable service. I mostly use it for local broadcast channels anyway, as I'm on the "Limited Cable Service" service.

Now I noticed that Sezmi is available where I live, and also in Houston as well. $4.99/month for service that has more and better channels than the Comcast service I had. Sure, there's a $150 up-front equipment cost, but that will be paid off in nine months of not paying a Comcast bill.

Does anyone use Sezmi? Has anyone heard of anyone who does? I'd like to hear other people's experiences before I sign up. (I'm getting too old to be a guinea pig all the time.)

I'm curious too - I haven't had cable service in years (just can't do it - especially with channel bloat and commercials) but this sounds more up my alley depending on the range in price and shows for on demand viewing..

Thanks for the heads up. Just looked at their web site, and it looks pretty compelling. I noticed the lack of ESPN though, which means you would miss some NFL games, inc. a few Texans games.

I'm not a sports guy, so I didn't notice the lack of ESPN. I wonder if you can make that up by using the online version.

OK, so digging into the details, they don't offer cable channels in Houston, and even if they did, they're in standard definition only (since they have to stream over the internet). So you end up paying for local channels that are available for free anyway over the air. I guess it might be worth it if you really like their dvr technology.

Archived