Commute 290 Vs. I-10

Bas

I read a lot about how horrible the commute is from Katy and also about the construction on the Katy highway. Is there an area closer west that maybe less of a nightmare. I found listing for nice houses about 23-25 miles west of downtown, would that be still a horrible commute? Also, How is the commute on the 290? I would probably find something decent there about the same distance (23-27 miles).

I appreciate all your advises and comments.

I don't commute on either freeway, but I've been caught in backups in non-peak hour periods on both freeways so I think it is safe to say both are severely congested. The Katy Freeway is probably somewhat worse.

I suppose you'll need to factor in your final destination (downtown?), how long you plan to live out there (more than 3 years?), and how you can survive until the construction projects are done (can you take park-and-ride?)

The Katy Freeway project will be done by the end of 2008. Even if the large freeway fills up, the toll lanes will be available. The current plan is to set the toll rates to ensure the traffic always flows at or around the speed limit (a level of service=C, for technical types). You may still face backups on the final downtown approach if you are going downtown.

As for US 290, there is a plan to expand it 10 main lanes inside BW 8 and 8 main lanes outside BW 8. There is also a proposal for a tollway along Hempstead Road. My guess is that the tollway will be built, probably opening by 2012, but the freeway improvements will be deferred indefinitely due to insufficient highway funds and to prevent competition with the tollway. But everything is speculation right now until HCTRA makes a decision on the Hempstead corridor tollway. So it is possible that nothing will happen, or things could get delayed way beyond 2010.

So it seems to me that the safest bet for improved service is the Katy Freeway corridor. You'll need to endure severe traffic for 3 years. Until then, take the Park-and-Ride if you can.

Guest danax
I read a lot about how horrible the commute is from Katy and also about the construction on the Katy highway. Is there an area closer west that maybe less of a nightmare. I found listing for nice houses about 23-25 miles west of downtown, would that be still a horrible commute? Also, How is the commute on the 290? I would probably find something decent there about the same distance (23-27 miles).

If you're ok with a 25 mile commute, you might as well live up near HP in Tomball that way only one of you has to commute.

Sounds like you have your heart set on a suburban home and setting. I would check out Spring around Willowbrook Mall area and commute the 249/45, which isn't horrible.

It is of my opinion that it would be better served if we can consolidate the threads.

Bas,

We would like ot know where the destination of your job is, that would give us a better idea for suggestions.

otherwise, please refer to my posting in another thread in regards to commutes.

Ricco

290 is almost as bad as I-10. Without traffic I could get to downtown in 15 - 20 minutes, but with traffic is was a least an hour commute. I am talking from from the 290 and Beltway 8 intersection. Take the HOV or Park & Ride and it will be much better.

Thanks so much for the info. I feel I'm less lost now[

"The Katy Freeway project will be done by the end of 2008. Even if the large freeway fills up, the toll lanes will be available. The current plan is to set the toll rates to ensure the traffic always flows at or around the speed limit (a level of service=C, for technical types). You may still face backups on the final downtown approach if you are going downtown."
Since obviously I'm clueless. Could you explain how the katy freeway will be in 3 years? There will be toll lane where you can pay? Even if you are not car-pooling?
Until then, take the Park-and-Ride if you can.

Even though the name tells it, can you tell me more about "Park-and-Ride"?

Sorry about listing the same question on two different threads.

And my destination is downtown (Enron 1500 Louisiana st- Now Chevron)

Thanks again for most informative comments.

Suburban residents can avoid rush hour congestion by parking their cars at METRO Park & Ride lots and riding comfortable Commuter buses Downtown and to other activity centers like The Galleria, the Texas Medical Center and Greenway Plaza. Many Commuter routes take advantage of High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes in the medians of local freeways.

http://www.ridemetro.org/services/transitfacilitiespr.asp

• The title was changed to Commute 290 Vs. I-10