Tallest Building In New Orleans Is Planned

Poydras project has pricey condos

Saturday, May 07, 2005

By Greg Thomas

Real estate writer

A partnership of Florida condominium developers is close to finalizing the purchase of a parking lot on Poydras Street on which they plan to build the tallest building in New Orleans.

If it works out as they hope, they would construct a 700-foot-tall, 500-unit condominium development, a building that would rise at least 50 stories and dominate the New Orleans skyline. The building is envisioned to include parking, retail at the base and possibly a hotel in the lower portion.

The partners -- brothers Allen and Frederick Levin, Robert Rinke, Clifford Mowe and Saints coach Jim Haslett -- are doing business as Poydras LLC. Several are in a different partnership that is building a seven-tower, 1,200-unit condo development in Pensacola Beach, Fla., called Portofino Resort.

Haslett, who could not be reached for comment, is a condo owner in Portofino but not an investor there. He has a 4 percent stake in the Poydras project, other group members said.

The group said it expects to close on the purchase of the parking lot by the end of May. Construction would begin by the end of the year and it would take two years to complete the $120 million building. The partners said financing will not be a problem.

http://www.nola.com/business/t-p/in...47832105270.xml

UPDATE: The parking lot has be purchased and construction should start by the end of the year.

In the original report, I believe that it said that the project would be 50 stories, reaching 700 ft. That's 3 feet taller than the current tallest, One Shell Square. I believe that there has been a revision already. Now it's 60 stories topping out at 800 ft. I wouldn't mind them adding a larger hotel at the bottom to bring it up to 900 ft. I just hope they don't try doing the building in the faux-chateau/neo-historical crap that many turn to in commercial residential construction.

• 2 months later...