Is it too late to fight my appraisal?

SilverJK

All-

I'm a first time home owner and new to the whole property tax scandal. I never received my tax appraisal (checked hcad and they have my old mailing address, not sure how that ever even got in there). They have my 2010 Appraisal more than 15% than the 2009 value. The new value is 24k more than I paid for the house in Oct. 2009. This is absolutely rediculous (i thought they could only raise it 10%?). From what I'm reading on their site, it is too late for me to protest it. Is there anyway to get them to revise it or am I just SOL?

Curt

All-

I'm a first time home owner and new to the whole property tax scandal. I never received my tax appraisal (checked hcad and they have my old mailing address, not sure how that ever even got in there). They have my 2010 Appraisal more than 15% than the 2009 value. The new value is 24k more than I paid for the house in Oct. 2009. This is absolutely rediculous (i thought they could only raise it 10%?). From what I'm reading on their site, it is too late for me to protest it. Is there anyway to get them to revise it or am I just SOL?

Curt

There are 2 deadlines. The later deadline is the one that applies. It may be June 30. File an appeal immediately, and see if they let it through. If they deny you, appeal the denial of an appeal. It's worth a shot.

All-

Curt

There is no 10% cap on homes that are not a homestead. Your house is not a homestead until you lived in it on January 1, which it looks like you have. Have you filed the home as your homestead? This is a different problem than a protest and doesn't require a deadline because it is against the law. You can file it as your homestead late and they will even refund money if you have paid in.

It has me with "homestead exemption" on HCAD. Do I need to make a seperate request for homestead?

That is likely the homestead exemption from the previous owner. Make your own application. It is simple. The form is online. You can even fill in a PDF online.

http://www.hcad.org/forms/default.asp?form=7

It only has to be filed once. If you have done this for this property, you are good. If not, file one.

• 9 months later...

Archived