Land On Yale St.

poyea

The link to that article was broken. It was originally published in the New York Times, available here. Do note that the article does not reference Houston or Texas even once, and mostly discusses a store in Chicago and the prospect of further penetrating Chicago, Detroit, and the northeast corridor.

I don't really see the relevance of this article to Yale Street in Houston, TX.

Considering all the chatter about low wages, work conditions, etc, it seems like this article is very relevant to this (dare I say) discussion. The opening paragraph states, "If Wal-Mart can succeed in the urban market, that could mean several hundred stores just in major cities like New York, Chicago and Detroit". Unless you don't consider Houston a "Major city".

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering all the chatter about low wages, work conditions, etc, it seems like this article is very relevant to this (dare I say) discussion. The opening paragraph states, "If Wal-Mart can succeed in the urban market, that could mean several hundred stores just in major cities like New York, Chicago and Detroit". Unless you don't consider Houston a "Major city".

It does not follow that Houston is not a major city. Just that we're nothing like New York, Chicago, or Detroit...thank goodness.

It is very likely that the reason Houston was not included is because Walmart is all over Houston. They only do not yet exist inside the loop. 75% of the city is already served by Walmart.

• The title was changed to Land On Yale St. Just South Of I-10
  • The title was changed to Land On Yale St.

Archived