Permeable/Porous Driveways?

We have one of those super narrow driveways where you hit the curb everytime you pull in or back out, so we are going to have the driveway entrance widened, and while we're at it we're going to make a portion of the driveway (closer to the garage) a two car driveway.

I remember seeing a documentary where they talked about Oregon using permeable/porous materials for driveways, sidewalks, etc to help reduce the amount of water that goes to the storm drains which also helps to prevent flooding, so we were thinking about using similar materials.

Has anyone done this, or know of companies that will do this for a residence?

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I've been researching this for over a year trying to find a company with experience, but I haven't had any luck. I'm looking for a reinforced grass driveway, something like Grasspave2.

Right now I'm talking to a friend of mine who has a landscape company and I'll try to get him to do it when his schedule permits. I'll let you know how it progresses.

Permeable driveways also have other benefits: because there's less water run-off, you also don't wash away any of the fluids that vehicles drop on a driveway. The fluids biodegrade in-situ instead of ending up in bayous, streams or rivers. And a grass driveway won't absorb heat like a hardscape so you're also reducing the urban heat island effect.

We have one of those super narrow driveways where you hit the curb everytime you pull in or back out, so we are going to have the driveway entrance widened, and while we're at it we're going to make a portion of the driveway (closer to the garage) a two car driveway.

I remember seeing a documentary where they talked about Oregon using permeable/porous materials for driveways, sidewalks, etc to help reduce the amount of water that goes to the storm drains which also helps to prevent flooding, so we were thinking about using similar materials.

Has anyone done this, or know of companies that will do this for a residence?

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Belgard makes Turf Stone pavers. A neighbor has this product or one similar. It's nice because the grass grows in the open areas but you still have a solid surface.

Make sure the sewer doesn't run under the drive, or you may have to use concrete to avoid damage. At least that's what the plumber told us when we replaced our sewer, and had to replace the driveway at the same time, as the sewer was under the back half.

Archived