Camper rental

sevfiv

Does anyone know of a place that rents pop-up type campers in the Houston area? (preferably south of town)

TIA!

At those rates, a hotel room would be about as cost-effective...particularly if you needed to get a hitch installed on your vehicle. Either that, or let me know if you need to borrow a tent. I have three.

Does anyone know of a place that rents pop-up type campers in the Houston area? (preferably south of town)TIA!

Yeah. What sev said. My wife and I are interested in this, too. We had a neighbor who had a great experience with this, but unfortunately they moved away and we lost touch.

http://www.campers4rent.com/indexpopups.shtmlIf you get any extra time with it, you should host the next HAIFy hour..in a location of your choice. happy.gif

I think Lewisville is a little too far away, unless sev is planning to stay at Lewisville Lake (I actually have stayed there in a trailer, it's OK but there are better destinations.)

At those rates, a hotel room would be about as cost-effective...particularly if you needed to get a hitch installed on your vehicle. Either that, or let me know if you need to borrow a tent. I have three.

True, but the rates for the small ones look pretty reasonable to me. And if what you want is to camp in Big Bend or Palo Duro Canyon, a hotel isn't going to cut it. And having camped unhappily in both kinds of shelter, I can attest that a trailer is way more comfortable than a tent. Of course a hotel is way more comfortable than a trailer, but sometimes we must do things to make other people happy. Spouses and children, for example, who for whatever reason enjoy camping. :)

And if what you want is to camp in Big Bend or Palo Duro Canyon, a hotel isn't going to cut it. And having camped unhappily in both kinds of shelter, I can attest that a trailer is way more comfortable than a tent.

Trailers are fully enclosed and have air conditioning and toilets. Don't get me wrong, if I were camping Big Bend for a long duration, particularly during hot or very windy months, a trailer would be nice.

Pop-up campers and tents are closer substitutes, however, and the price of the pop-up doesn't seem easily justified.

Trailers are fully enclosed and have air conditioning and toilets. Don't get me wrong, if I were camping Big Bend for a long duration, particularly during hot or very windy months, a trailer would be nice.

Pop-up campers and tents are closer substitutes, however, and the price of the pop-up doesn't seem easily justified.

My wife and I have "camped" many nights in our Honda Element. I hesitate to even call it camping, since it's essentially like staying in a pop-up...and I don't consider that camping.

The wife and I looked around at pop-ups a few years back, and I just couldn't justify it. The biggest difference between our Element and a pop-up is a toilet/shower which only seem to be found in higher-end popups. Our cooking is done on a propane stove (outside the car instead of inside the pop-up), we have an ice chest (which is the only "refrigeration" many popups have), and we carry jugs of water. The car has A/C and power points. On the downside, the Element only sleeps two, so junior's gonna have to sleep on the ground...or I sleep under the stars and leave junior in the car.

Advantages of the Element versus popup is the Element has 4-wheel drive...and we've taken it on many miles of dirt roads in Big Bend that can't be done with a trailer.

Like I said, at the end of the day we just couldn't justify the popup. We'll wait until retirement and get a nice trailer we can live in.

Archived