Recycling Carts/Bins

Back in February, I requested a new bin for the curbside recycling. Two months later and nada .... So, i just called 311 and was informed that the green bins are being replaced by the larger carts and that I'll just have to be patient while they implement that new system and deliver the carts. Has anyone heard anything about this? Personally, I'm glad that they will be using the carts rather than those small bin. My parents in Lafayette, LA (which i don't really associate as a place with a major recycling initiative) have recycling carts that are larger than their trash cans, yet here in Houston curbside recycling is still spotty and in such small bins?

Back in February, I requested a new bin for the curbside recycling. Two months later and nada .... So, i just called 311 and was informed that the green bins are being replaced by the larger carts and that I'll just have to be patient while they implement that new system and deliver the carts. Has anyone heard anything about this? Personally, I'm glad that they will be using the carts rather than those small bin. My parents in Lafayette, LA (which i don't really associate as a place with a major recycling initiative) have recycling carts that are larger than their trash cans, yet here in Houston curbside recycling is still spotty and in such small bins?

Some neighborhoods are getting the bigger bins (lucky!). I know Garden Oaks is part of this. I believe the city is rolling it out, albeing veeeeery slowly

From what I can find on the City site it looks like the slow roll out might at least in part be due to the limited number of trucks they have to handle the rolling containers

http://www.houstontx...matedtruck.html

I wish they would at least have some sort of map or roll out plan available, I don't mind lugging the two bins out to the curb as much as I mind trying to figure out how to cram everything into the two bins. I really hope they accelerate the plan and get us those big green bins soon!

Edited by goavs4
  • Like 1

Well, i hope the guy at 311 wasn't just making it up ... <_< I'm on Oxford near White Oak and to my knowledge, I haven't received any materials mentioning the new program being rolled out here (and i have received trash and recycling info in the mail before). Or if i did get a notice, I threw it away recycled it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am increasingly (and fittingly) green with envy as I pass houses two blocks south of my street with the wheeled recycling containers sitting out front while I continue to benchpress three smelly, damp, ugly, cockroach-ridden bins to the curb and arrive home in the evening to pick up all the litter that's left behind. How much longer is this pilot scheme going on for?

Is anyone else similarly aggrieved?

I am increasingly (and fittingly) green with envy as I pass houses two blocks south of my street with the wheeled recycling containers sitting out front while I continue to benchpress three smelly, damp, ugly, cockroach-ridden bins to the curb and arrive home in the evening to pick up all the litter that's left behind. How much longer is this pilot scheme going on for?

Yes, I see they seem to be more regularly updating the pilot site info http://www.houstontx...drecycling.html but they still don't have good info on how they plan to expand the program outside of one page with expansion neighborhood listings, but they don't list any dates or any future expansion plans!

http://www.houstontx...ycling_new.html

Camp Logan and Crestwood are just across Westcott/Washington from us, no more than a couple of blocks and they are in full swing with there giant bins while I spend Sunday night trying to compact all my plastics down as much as I can to fit everything inside. I agree they need to step it up and greatly expand the program, especially to area like the Heights and the Washington corridor.

Edited by goavs4

We are! Especially for glass as I understand this new recycling "program" includes glass.. We constantly have our bin overflowing after 1 week. I don't know how we generate so much trash.. but at least we recycle most of it!

Come on already COH..

• The title was changed to Recycling Carts/Bins