Sunset Heights Bottling Works At 1202 Link Rd. & 409 Airline Dr.

JR_Sunset

My dad drove me by an old factory building in the Heights that he said bottled pickles when he was a kid. I remember it being somewhere north of Hamilton Jr. High School, and east of Kaplans a bit.

I wonder if that would have been the building behind the Alabama Furniture store? That building has been renovated recently but seems to be in the area you described.

The bottle is an interesting find. My Dad used to live on 29th street, and told stories about the old pickle company. He described how they went out of business during the depression, and just left big jars full of pickles there in the vacant building. According to him, everyone used to go over there when they needed pickles, and just walk in, and get what they needed. He also stated that they used to play on the freight elevator, which was a hand-drawn elevator with a rope you pulled to go up, or down.

They moved to Sunset Heights in 1927, just after the riot there. He stated that he never remembers a bottling company there, so maybe it was prior to 1927, or could have been destroyed in the riot, and never rebuilt. Also, he stated that the Heights was first, and then Sunset Heights, so it could be that the Sunset Heights Bottling Compnay folded, and a developer bought the building, and converted it to a housing district.

Have you checked the Texas Room for info?

The bottle is an interesting find. My Dad used to live on 29th street, and told stories about the old pickle company. He described how they went out of business during the depression, and just left big jars full of pickles there in the vacant building. According to him, everyone used to go over there when they needed pickles, and just walk in, and get what they needed. He also stated that they used to play on the freight elevator, which was a hand-drawn elevator with a rope you pulled to go up, or down.

They moved to Sunset Heights in 1927, just after the riot there. He stated that he never remembers a bottling company there, so maybe it was prior to 1927, or could have been destroyed in the riot, and never rebuilt. Also, he stated that the Heights was first, and then Sunset Heights, so it could be that the Sunset Heights Bottling Compnay folded, and a developer bought the building, and converted it to a housing district.

Have you checked the Texas Room for info?

The Texas room at the Metropolitan Research center is still closed for renovations. I am looking forward to using it.

What I have found out so far about Sunset Heights is that most of land was owned by the Houston and Texas Central Railway. Part of the eastern area was owned by the Fredric Olcott family. In 1910, Richard Rodgers created the Sunset Realty and then created the Sunset Heights neighborhood from that land he had bought. He had previously created a small addition to Woodland Heights in 1904 called the Rodgers Addition. It doesn't appear that the land was used for anything prior to the subdivision. The railroad land had been tied up in litigation for years until the courts demanded that the land be sold for the railroad to cover it's mounting debt. A interesting side note was that land for what is know as Alamo School was sold to the county several weeks before neighborhood plat got filed. Maybe it was a condition of the plat.

The other stuff I have found was the Water and Power station located on 716 E 27th. The concrete water tank still exists on the property. The old post office was located at 419 E 27th (since torn down). It was in operation until 1951. A barber shop ran out of it after that. There was also on the trolley path that came up Main, turned West on E 27th, turned North on Columbia, turned East on 31st, then headed back South on Main.

The Texas room at the Metropolitan Research center is still closed for renovations. I am looking forward to using it.

What I have found out so far about Sunset Heights is that most of land was owned by the Houston and Texas Central Railway. Part of the eastern area was owned by the Fredric Olcott family. In 1910, Richard Rodgers created the Sunset Realty and then created the Sunset Heights neighborhood from that land he had bought. He had previously created a small addition to Woodland Heights in 1904 called the Rodgers Addition. It doesn't appear that the land was used for anything prior to the subdivision. The railroad land had been tied up in litigation for years until the courts demanded that the land be sold for the railroad to cover it's mounting debt. A interesting side note was that land for what is know as Alamo School was sold to the county several weeks before neighborhood plat got filed. Maybe it was a condition of the plat.

The other stuff I have found was the Water and Power station located on 716 E 27th. The concrete water tank still exists on the property. The old post office was located at 419 E 27th (since torn down). It was in operation until 1951. A barber shop ran out of it after that. There was also on the trolley path that came up Main, turned West on E 27th, turned North on Columbia, turned East on 31st, then headed back South on Main.

Thanks for the info on the Texas Room. Hopefully they'll be open again soon.

Your research is very interesting, and brings back a lot of memories. So, the question of the bottling company still remains. I was wondering if the bottling company was a sub of the pickle plant. I noted that the bottle as pictured, has no markings indicating the contents. Perhaps they bottled vinegar, or other related items, and simply labeled them. This is a good mystery, so I'll see what I can look up as well.

Thanks for the information! I've always wondered why the neighborhood was initially platted with 3000 SF lots for shotgun houses, but it appears to have been built-out with bungalows on 6000 SF lots?

Thanks for the information! I've always wondered why the neighborhood was initially platted with 3000 SF lots for shotgun houses, but it appears to have been built-out with bungalows on 6000 SF lots?

When Rodgers created Sunset Heights, Independence Heights had already been around for a while. Inpendence Heights started at 30th and had been platted with 3,000 sqft lots. Rodgers was unsure how the neighborhood would develop and platted the neighborhood at 3,000 like Independence. Sunset could have been more like Independence or it could have been more like the Heights. Platting at 3,000, but developing at 6,000 or more was really just Rodgers being a prudent bussinessman. Sunset Heights ending up becoming a heaven for a lot of blue collar workers. These people were railroad workers, auto mechanics, workers for the ice factory and oddly telephone operators. Most of them were from Poland, Germany, or Checkoslovakia or were decedents of people from there. The people buying into the area could afford the double lots, so very few single 3,000 sqft lots were ever sold. The upsell was to buy an additional lot to give you 9,000 sqft. The 3rd lot was usually sold at a discount too. Something like 30% more money yeilded 50% more land. That is why a lot of blocks had houses that sat on the 9,000 sqft lots (not so much anymore).

• Like 1

When Rodgers created Sunset Heights, Independence Heights had already been around for a while. Inpendence Heights started at 30th and had been platted with 3,000 sqft lots. Rodgers was unsure how the neighborhood would develop and platted the neighborhood at 3,000 like Independence. Sunset could have been more like Independence or it could have been more like the Heights. Platting at 3,000, but developing at 6,000 or more was really just Rodgers being a prudent bussinessman. Sunset Heights ending up becoming a heaven for a lot of blue collar workers. These people were railroad workers, auto mechanics, workers for the ice factory and oddly telephone operators. Most of them were from Poland, Germany, or Checkoslovakia or were decedents of people from there. The people buying into the area could afford the double lots, so very few single 3,000 sqft lots were ever sold. The upsell was to buy an additional lot to give you 9,000 sqft. The 3rd lot was usually sold at a discount too. Something like 30% more money yeilded 50% more land. That is why a lot of blocks had houses that sat on the 9,000 sqft lots (not so much anymore).

Thanks, you also answered another long-time question I had regarding the boundary between Sunset Heights & Independence Heights. Were Blacks allowed to buy in Sunset Heights, or was it a segregated neighborhood with a formal boundary at 30th St? (similar to the manner in which Alabama St divided the 3rd Ward from Washington Terrace)

<br />Thanks, you also answered another long-time question I had regarding the boundary between Sunset Heights & Independence Heights.  Were Blacks allowed to buy in Sunset Heights, or was it a segregated neighborhood with a formal boundary at 30th St? (similar to the manner in which Alabama St divided the 3rd Ward from Washington Terrace)<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I think there was something in the deed restrictions. I need to verify that. Looking through the 1920 and 1930 census records, there were no blacks in Sunset Heights.

<br /><br /><br />

I think there was something in the deed restrictions. I need to verify that. Looking through the 1920 and 1930 census records, there were no blacks in Sunset Heights.

Keep in mind also that some of the people who owned those houses didn't live in them, they rented them out. My Dad and his family rented there on 29th street, and weren't there that long.

Perhaps an aerial photo would lend some clues in regard to the bottling works? How about the city directory?

Edited by Hanuman

Keep in mind also that some of the people who owned those houses didn't live in them, they rented them out. My Dad and his family rented there on 29th street, and weren't there that long.

Perhaps an aerial photo would lend some clues in regard to the bottling works? How about the city directory?

The census counters went to each house and got information on all the people living in the home. All the kids, boarders, and even servants. I counted at least 2 homes that had servants in the 1930 census. So it's a snapshot. Now if people were not home or available then they may have not been counted. It was amazing to see how many people could live in a 2 bedroom bungalow. It was not uncommon to see 6 to 9 people in a single house.

I would be interested if you have any more stories like the pickle one. I am trying to put together a collection of history for the up coming 100th anniversary of the neighborhood.

It was amazing to see how many people could live in a 2 bedroom bungalow. It was not uncommon to see 6 to 9 people in a single house.

A family of 5 originally lived in my 2-bedroom bungalow in Sunset Heights. In fact, they built the garage first and lived in the garage until they saved enough money to build a house.

The Sunset Heights Bottling Works was in operation (or at least in the City Directory) from 1923 until 1931. It was located on the "ns Link ro 1 w Air Line" in 1923, 24, 25, & 26. In 1927 it was listed at 1202 Link. In 1928 it was listed at 409 Airline. In 1929-31 it was listed at 1607 Airline.

The 1202 Link and 409 Airline, due to numbering changes in the late 1920's, would correspond to the corner of Link and Airline. The location of El Bolillo Bakery contained two homes until a few years ago. Prior to El Bolillo being built, Caninos had a warehouse where the El Bolillo parking lot is located. This was, most likely, the location of the Sunset heights Bottling Works.

Since Alamo elementary was brough up, it is worth mentioning that it was originally named Sunset heights School. If anyone has the opportunity, and permission, drop by and look at the original cornerstone.

The Sunset Heights Bottling Works was in operation (or at least in the City Directory) from 1923 until 1931. It was located on the "ns Link ro 1 w Air Line" in 1923, 24, 25, & 26. In 1927 it was listed at 1202 Link. In 1928 it was listed at 409 Airline. In 1929-31 it was listed at 1607 Airline.

The 1202 Link and 409 Airline, due to numbering changes in the late 1920's, would correspond to the corner of Link and Airline. The location of El Bolillo Bakery contained two homes until a few years ago. Prior to El Bolillo being built, Caninos had a warehouse where the El Bolillo parking lot is located. This was, most likely, the location of the Sunset heights Bottling Works.

Since Alamo elementary was brough up, it is worth mentioning that it was originally named Sunset heights School. If anyone has the opportunity, and permission, drop by and look at the original cornerstone.

Yes, you found it. After zooming in a lot I was able to find it on the Sanborn map. The building on the map actually says Bottling Works so I think this must have been it.

Houston+1924-1950+vol.+6-8%2C+1925%2C+Sheet+742.pdf

I noticed new "For Information" signs posted in front the school over the weekend. I guess the school or city is looking to off load it to raise some money. I wish I could get a tour of the place before they tear it down. Get some some nice pictures before it is lost for good.

What year is that Sanborn map from? It appears that there were a number of street name changes in the area, the most notable being "Houston Avenue Extension".

There are two sets of digital Sanborn maps both have the dates 1924-1951 on them. My thinking is that the first set is closer to 1924 (the one that I attached) and the second set is closer to 1951.

I think that is the 1925 one - in the republished version of that map (May 1950) the Bottling Works is gone and there is a house there..

edit - (I left the window sit open too long!) JR is right - and the first date in the Sanborn range is when the mapmakers started and the last date in the range is usually the last addition or "pasteover." The first (earlier) maps were the uncorrected versions submitted to the Library of Congress and the second are usually the ones submitted for the Census (they have an asterisk).

• 2 years later...

I live in the house that was once the Sunset Heights Bottling Works. It is located at 1607 Airline Drive. It is now a transitional living facility named Airline House. I also have an old photograph of the owners and workers of the place, standing in front of it. I don't have a date for the photograph, or a digital copy.

Edited by tod

Thanks for posting , tod. Please contact me through HAIF if you're interested in digitizing and/or (or if you already have) showing the picture!

I will get a digital version of the photograph and post it on this site. I'll also see if there's any additional info to go with it.

• The title was changed to Sunset Heights Bottling Works At 1202 Link Rd. & 409 Airline Dr.