Help identify architecture and time period (with pic)

Here's a tough one... This is truly the only picture I can get of what once was the original architecture of the building. Its a residential structure, with some neat brickwork over the windows as you can see on the side that has been stuccoed over and had the windows bricked up... Can someone help me out on what type of architecture and what time period it dates to? Its located in the Heights.

post-3985-12645501413963_thumb.jpg

Providing the address might help. There is a new book out now, about the Heights. Maybe it could give some clues. I would guess - built 1920's.

It's at 12th and Yale... Trust me when I say you cannot see any of the original structure beyond what I took in the photo... However, driving by it is worth the shock, especially since a man, woman and their child (17y/o?) live there...

The sanborn maps (from 1924-51, #727) tell us that a duplex sat on the corner at 12th and Yale, at 1197 Yale (1137?). Three stores sat directly across the street, facing 12th St., fire station #14 diagonally across the intersection from the duplex, and a playground w/ comm. ho. (home?) on the other corner (directly north). A stucco house sits next to it, at 1195 Yale, and a single dwelling at 1144 Yale, next to the stores. This was a happening corner, I would think a very desirable location. I read very briefly in the Heights book, at the book store, that the more costly lots and homes sat very near the street car line. The further away you got, the less it cost to build. I still can't say what type of architecture it is.

I just looked at the addresses again, looks like sanborn may have misnumbered, 1135, 1193, 1195, 1197, house addresses on Yale, on their records. They probably really are 1135, 1139, 1135, and 1137 Yale.

The google maps show the duplex gone, but the 3 stores are still there. They're interesting. There was also a neon sign business next to the stores. Looks like it's still standing. The fire station is nicely preserved. You must be talking about the one with the big fence, around 1140 Yale, 2nd or 3rd from corner. Not much you can see.

We need a better address. I thought at first you meant the white building on the southeast corner of W. 12th and Yale, which looks like a commercial building which might have been converted to apartments. Is it on Yale, or on W. 12th?

That kind of brickwork is pretty common on prewar duplexes and four square houses, all over town.

The google maps show the duplex gone, but the 3 stores are still there. They're interesting. There was also a neon sign business next to the stores. Looks like it's still standing. The fire station is nicely preserved. You must be talking about the one with the big fence, around 1140 Yale, 2nd or 3rd from corner. Not much you can see.

Yeah its 3 lots from the corner. The old stores are dated 1918 (2nd lot to the east from Yale) and 1920 (on the corner), both are extremely neat and are in POOR condition both of which are owned by a guy who has a furniture store somewhere in town (Richard Strauss). The firestation has been preserved and was recently bought by Houston Heights Association and is in very good shape, its where they hold their meetings and what not. My house is next to the one with the high fence, the one in question. 1143 Yale is the actual address via HCAD.

Archived