HAIF:Now updated - 137% better

editor

I spent this morning updating HAIF:Now. For those of you who aren't using this immensely useful tool, it's a way to get a summary of what's going on at HAIF. It works great from any browser for letting you know what threads have recently been active. But where it really shines is in mobile form.

Form your computer or mobile device, the address is http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haifnow.php/

It's designed to be light so that it runs fast on cellular data connections.

Now it's been optimized for iPhones and iPod Touches.

Here are some screenshots:

post-1-1260903506408_thumb.jpg

post-1-12609035024503_thumb.jpg

post-1-12609035045277_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the iDevice version allows you to see the last five posts in each thread, not just the active thread titles. It also allows you to view a more full version (with quotes, formatting and pictures) in Diet HAIF.

iPhone and iPod Touch users can also turn it into an application by pressing the + button and selecting "Add to Home Screen." But again, it works on any computer and pretty much any mobile device with basic web access.

The effort shows!

Will this eventually allow "replying" to posts?

Maybe. Not anytime soon. Replying involves logging in, storing information about the user, securely transmitting information, and a bunch of database stuff that I don't understand.

Since HAIF:Now is my own project, and not part of the forum software there are hazards to letting people reply to posts. Someone could very easily be replying on HAIF:Now at the same time someone is replying on the real forum and their information collides, comingles, or becomes otherwise intertwined. Lots of bad stuff can happen that's mostly over my head.

Someone could very easily be replying on HAIF:Now at the same time someone is replying on the real forum and their information collides, comingles, or becomes otherwise intertwined. Lots of bad stuff can happen that's mostly over my head.

Like crossing the streams. It's only good if you're battling the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

Archived