New Homeowner Tax Question

redant

I'm not totally sure but I have a house in Richmond. I believe I will pay over 6k in property taxes when my friend in Houston pays 3k. I don't get it. Am I seeing something wrong? Any help is appreciated. I am calling my bank now for more information.

I'm not totally sure but I have a house in Richmond. I believe I will pay over 6k in property taxes when my friend in Houston pays 3k. I don't get it. Am I seeing something wrong? Any help is appreciated. I am calling my bank now for more information.

Send me a private message with the 2 property addresses you're referring to. I actually don't live in Houston anymore. I moved to Atlanta a few months ago, but I had gotten an email with this post and it caught my eye. I worked in property taxes representing mortgage companies for about 7 years and the past 2 as a senior property tax consultant representing businesses. I'll take a look at the tax/appraisal info on the two properties and tell you what I see.

could be possible depending on appraisals.

You can go here:

www.fbcad.org

and search for your home either by name or address. It will list the current "appraised value" being used by the appraisal district, plus all the individual taxing entities i.e. school district, drainage, LID, MUD etc. Also somewhere on the website should be a table of all the tax rates used by each entity.

If your house is $234k, minus the $15k HS exemption, your appraised value is $219k. Depending on where you live in Richmond your overall taxes could be around 3%, which works out to be about $6k, so it sounds about right.

Once you file homestead exemption once, you should not need to re-file. The website will tell you if they have applied your HS exemption. Note that some entities don't allow for a HS Exemption, so they use the full $234k value not the reduced $219k.

Hope that helps.

OK yea mine is worth 234k and hers I think 180k. Mainly I was wondering if in Harris County do they have a MUD tax. I seem to have two taxes a county tax and a MUD tax.

There are thousands of MUD districts and it all depends on where you live. At a bare minimum everyone has a county and a school tax, sometimes collected on the same bill. You might also have a city, mud, lid, junior college, or one of many other types of special districts. The school is usually the highest bill and the rates can vary significantly by district. Each one has it's own tax rate and has different local option homestead allowances. You only file your homestead once and it stays with the property automatically until it's sold - assuming that they received and applied the exemption. The average tax rates in Texas are 2-3% of the appraised value.

If you send me the property addresses I can look into them with the appropriate CADs and explain to you the variances. There are companies you can hire to appeal the value - they usually charge you about 50% of the tax savings, or nothing if they don't win the appeal. Or you can appeal values yourself. The deadline for this tax year has passed, but it's something to keep in mind for next year. I do not work for one of those companies and I'm not trying to solicit business. I actually find most of those companies to be sleazy, but if you don't know the tax system or don't have the time then they're worthwhile, especially sicnce they do tend to win the appeals. The only problem is that if you escrow your taxes, which it sounds like you do, it's usually not worth the money to pay someone up front 50% of tax savings that you won't see for another year when the mortgage company does an escrow analysis.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived