Do You Use Light Rail?

Do You Use MetroRail?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Use MetroRail?

• Yes, I use it everyday in my commute.
    • Ocassionally
    • I have never used it.

When I was living in downtown, I rode it every day. Saved my heels the 6 blocks of walking to work. If/When I live in downtown, I'll prolly continue to ride it.

As for this:

No! To many Bums stinking up the train.

I was severely PO'd at Metro when I was trying to take my dog down (the 2 minute ride) to Hermann Park. They halted the train and waited for a police officer to show up to ask us to get off. When I explained my dog wasn't going to leave urine all over the place, unlike the guy we were sitting next to, he said it was the rule. (Btw, there was/is? no such rule for the LightRail, only the buses.) Grr. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

Should have been a Monorail. How dumb putting it on a flood plain in the middle of traffic.

Cool looking train and I would use it if I had the need. I hope it works out and comes down the the NASA area some day.

Maybe by the time it comes south, the planners will not have it moving in a lane of traffic.

Looking at Seattle's billion dollar a mile monorail, LRT doesn't look too stupid to me. A couple of minute service interruption during the occasional hard rain to save hundreds of millions of dollars in increased construction costs, sounds like sound fiscal policy to me.

I commuted downtown for work on MetroRail for the first time this morning. I've been using it for a while to get downtown to eat, shop, play, etc. But this week I'm at home, working for a client in downtown Houston and opted to take Metro instead of driving because the AC in my seven-year-old-112,000-mile-soon-to-be-replaced car is dead. It was quite nice to not drive, although it did take longer to get through the Med Center at 7:45 AM this morning than it does when I tend to ride downtown in the evenings or weekends. I had always said I wanted to work downtown, and now I am. Well, for three days a month for the next four months at least. :-)

Question for you guys that start at the Ensemble/HCC stop....is there parking there? I will be living a few blocks away (right now in San Diego) and want to use the MetroRail to go to school in the Medical Center.

I can either catch the MetroRail there or at the Wheeler stop. Do most people drive, park, & ride? Is parking free? Monthly fee?

Thanks in advance.

There is no official public parking at any MetroRail stops that exists to speficially serve the rail line other than the Fannin South Park and Ride. However, street parking is available near Ensemble/HCC and Wheeler. You may have better luck finding it near Ensemble/HCC in Midtown on one of the side streets than at Wheeler, although Wheeler is close to the large parking lot at Fannin and Wheeler that serves the Midtown Sears store. I'm not sure how Sears handles people parking in their lot to ride MetroRail.

As for me, I don't usually use the rail line for park and ride service. I take a short ride (5-10 minutes) on a local bus route to connect to the rail line. Depending on where you live in Midtown, this may be an option for you as well, although there are only a few bus routes that cross the rail line in Midtown. Wheeler is the only Midtown rail stop that really offers many bus transfer options.

Excellent post, Mase (and welcome to HAIF).

Dream's post ("No! To many Bums stinking up the train."[sic]) unfortunately has an element of truth. Perhaps some of the people who used to hang out under the Pierce Elevated have discovered that Metro doesn't check riders' tickets very often. I've seen malodorous people sleeping on the train, blocking aisles, harrassing other passengers, etc. This needs to stop, now.

Hey were becoming just like New York!

Question for you guys that start at the Ensemble/HCC stop....is there parking there?  I will be living a few blocks away (right now in San Diego) and want to use the MetroRail to go to school in the Medical Center.

I can either catch the MetroRail there or at the Wheeler stop.  Do most people drive, park, & ride? Is parking free? Monthly fee?

Thanks in advance.

You can also bring your bike on the train with you, except during rush hour. This would expand your range in the Med Center.

Archived