Bob Perry Feels The Sting Of Arbitration.

Andrew Wheat of Texans for Public Justice wrote an OUTSTANDING article on Bob Perry "A Homeowner Nails Bob Perry" at

http://www.mollyivins.com/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=1953

Perry lost a HUGE arbitration award to the tune of ~$800,000 which he has not paid for over 2 1/2 years. He is now appealing the award because the arbitration was unfair and biased.

Homeowners for years have been complaining about the abuse of arbitration in new home contracts, and five studies have been performed by the State, yet nothing has been done about it. Bob Perry's industry has been the ONLY supporter of the use and abuse of arbitration and now he knows what the consumer has been going through.

You can view the entire arbitration award at http://www.hadd.com/documents/perry.pdf

--

John R. Cobarruvias

Homeowners Against Deficient Dwellings

john.cobarruvias@hadd.com

14646 Cardinal Creek Ct

Houston, TX 77062

281-486-5203

http://www.hadd.com

Speaking of Bob Perry.................

Turns out the Senator who wrote the bill that created the Builders Commission which Perry's VP is on, got a bit testy with the nominations of the commissioners.

http://www.texaslegislatureobserved.com/

Duncan Duels with Homebuilders

A testy exchange broke out this afternoon in, of all places, the Senate Nominations Committee. That noted revolutionary, Sen. Robert Duncan (R-Lubbock), had it out with the homebuilding industry, er, the Texas Residential Construction Commission--it's so hard to tell the difference these days. The TRCC--the new state agency tasked with regulating the homebuilders--is run by and for the homebuilding industry. In fact, Bob Perry's right-hand man, John Krugh, wrote much of the bill that created the TRCC and was appointed as one of its commissioners by Gov. Rick Perry (no relation to Bob Perry, at least genetically). You remember ol' Bob, the Houston homebuilder and Republican sugar daddy (more than $4 million in 2004 campaign contributions). Krugh and his eight fellow mostly builder-affiliated commissioners are up for Senate confirmation and hence their appearance before the nominations committee.

Duncan said he was upset that his TRCC reform bill, SB 1390, never even got a committee hearing. He blamed the homebuilding industry and "members of the commission" (read: Krugh) for killing SB 1390. Krugh conceded that he didn't like 30 percent of the bill, including a section forcing homebuilders to disclose when new homes haven't been inspected.

Duncan shot back at Krugh: "I'm asking you to take off your builder hat, if you can. When you're sitting on this commission...you have to make decisions based on what's in the best interest of the state of Texas, not just what's in the best interest of the builders. Now, taking off your builder hat...do you not think it's a good thing for a consumer to know that their house hasn't been inspected?"

Krugh: "Once you put it that way, I agree with you, yes sir."

Duncan: "But you opposed that provision in the bill?"

Krugh: "'Opposed' is awfully strong. I had objections to portions of it."

Duncan: "Seems to be opposed, to me." The Lubbock Republican then launched a general broadside against the TRCC, saying that the commission was "stacked" in favor of industry. "[TRCC] appear to the public to be a regulatory body, when in fact, the people really being regulated are the consumers, not the builders," Duncan said. This elicited a sharp response from Commissioner Paulo Flores, who insisted that he is, in fact, not "in the pocket of the building industry."

That didn't sway Duncan, who fired off a warning shot, "I'll say this before I go. I've got a poll of [senators] who have concerns." It would take 11 "no" votes on the Senate floor to kill any of the nine commissioners' nominations.