Electrical permit questions

This is a part II of my thread titled unresponsive contractor.

Im trying to clean up my garage project after my contractor has gone AWOL. My question is about electrical and permitting. The garage is framed and I have a contractor who is going to clean up a few things that will get me through the framing inspection. Would it be advisable to go ahead and install the plugs and switches prior to getting the framing inspection? Can I as the home owner apply for an electical permit or is this something a licensed electician will have to do. Currently my garage is framed with conduit stubbed into the wall.

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

This is a part II of my thread titled unresponsive contractor.

Im trying to clean up my garage project after my contractor has gone AWOL. My question is about electrical and permitting. The garage is framed and I have a contractor who is going to clean up a few things that will get me through the framing inspection. Would it be advisable to go ahead and install the plugs and switches prior to getting the framing inspection? Can I as the home owner apply for an electical permit or is this something a licensed electician will have to do. Currently my garage is framed with conduit stubbed into the wall.

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

No you can not get an electrical permit as a homeowner. A homeowner may obtain building, sidewalk/driveway, plumbing and mechanical permits only.

• 3 weeks later...

They told me yesterday that the Home Owner can pull a Mechanical permit, but the catch is you can only pull it for something like duct work... no A/C or Furnace installs so it might as well be useless.

That's hilarious! The funny part in my case is that I am having a ductless AC installed. I got a contractor signed up and he pulled one for me last week, so I'm in good shape now.

Archived