Unresponsive Contractor

I had a contractor start construction on a new garage on my existing property just over 2 months ago. Essentially its a 500sq ft. structure with a integrated car port that is approx. 14 x 20. The garage has been framed for approx. 1 month, part of the roofing material is in place and doors have been hung, no siding/trim/electrical etc. has been started. The contractor has become completely unresponsive to my phone calls, at one juncture I had not heard from him in over 2 weeks. Whats really strange is that he shows up occasionaly for a couple hours each week and does a couple hours of work and then leaves. This week he dropped off 15 sheets of plywood, no work was done. At this juncture the framing wood is really starting to turn and Im afraid that if this thing doesnt get buttoned up Im going to have some issues.

At this juncture I would like to fire the contractor. Im at a spot financially on th project that I believe I can get the final work done for about what I owe him. My question is concerning the City building permits. He filed the permits, did the drawings etc. Will those permits have to be filed again if a new contractor comes in and finishes up? Maybe a really dumb questions but Im clueless....

I appreciate any information.

Nope. You're good. You could have actually pulled the permits yourself (except electrical and mechanical), so you can still set up inspections even without this contractor. What has probably happened is that the contractor has another job working and he wants to get it framed to pick up some cash. Every contractor does it, and your only recourse is to hold back enough money to keep him coming back. Cussing also helps sometimes.

BTW, your wood is fine. It takes longer than 2 months to ruin it. OSB can go bad if it gets too wet too often, though.

Archived