Revocation of alcohol permits by City of Houston

musicman

It appears that the City of Houston pulled another "specs washington" on the proposed Trail Mix Cafe which was going to be located near the Montrose skate shop on White Oak near the bike trail. Owner stated that he took the required steps to obtain the permit and after two months, the City contacted him and revoked the permit.

I don't know all the details - some of which were discussed here, when Lonnie Allsbrooks wrote to Swamplot - but the Heights wet/dry line seems like something that Allsbrooks either would or should have known about, given that he already owns a bar on White Oak. And if you know there's a line, how do you not do an internet search to make sure the new place where you want to serve alcohol is not in the dry section?

Also, the fixes available to Allsbrooks seem a little more reasonable than Spec's not selling liquor. Allsbrooks could make his cafe BYOB, or he could get whatever kind of permit Shade has.

Like I said, I don't know all the details. And it may be that Allsbrooks really was diligent and has been treated unfairly by the city. I guess I just haven't heard enough to be convinced that's the case. His reaction seemed to focus more on whether the dry zone really exists, and is enforceable, and I didn't have much sympathy for that position, for the reasons discussed in the Swamplot comments.

I think this was discussed some on HAIF, too. Maybe in the Heights/White Oak thread.

I don't know all the details - some of which were discussed here, when Lonnie Allsbrooks wrote to Swamplot - but the Heights wet/dry line seems like something that Allsbrooks either would or should have known about, given that he already owns a bar on White Oak. And if you know there's a line, how do you not do an internet search to make sure the new place where you want to serve alcohol is not in the dry section?

Also, the fixes available to Allsbrooks seem a little more reasonable than Spec's not selling liquor. Allsbrooks could make his cafe BYOB, or he could get whatever kind of permit Shade has.

Like I said, I don't know all the details. And it may be that Allsbrooks really was diligent and has been treated unfairly by the city. I guess I just haven't heard enough to be convinced that's the case. His reaction seemed to focus more on whether the dry zone really exists, and is enforceable, and I didn't have much sympathy for that position, for the reasons discussed in the Swamplot comments.

I think this was discussed some on HAIF, too. Maybe in the Heights/White Oak thread.

i heard him on the radio the other nite. the permitting process shouldn't grant a permit if they are in a dry zone or at least should specify any restrictions. they still grant permits in violation of deed restrictions too which has been a problem since bob lanier admin removed the step where the city would check whether an area is restricted and left it to the builder to determine. every administration since has stated they will build an electronic deed restriction database and and that still doesn't exist.

There is a requirement that he post his intentions to apply for a license for a certain number of days prior, of which I think he did half that number, if that many. It could be said, that had he fulfilled that requirement, a neighbor would have seen the notice and contacted the city to protest and therefore the license would not have passed. So no, he admittedly did not fulfill all the requirements.

Archived