asbestos shingle replacement?

Hello all!

My garage apartment has asbestos shingles which generally are in very good condition. However a few on the back side have broken, leading to water getting in the garage.

As the great majority of shingles are fine (and I currently don't have the funds to put up all new siding), are there any local companies that can replace the few that are damaged with a comparable product? The most damaged ones face a fence behind the garage, so I'm not really concerned about how well the replacements match to the existing ones; I really just want to stop the water from getting in until I can have the whole thing replaced.

Thanks!

Mark

Hello all!

My garage apartment has asbestos shingles which generally are in very good condition. However a few on the back side have broken, leading to water getting in the garage.

As the great majority of shingles are fine (and I currently don't have the funds to put up all new siding), are there any local companies that can replace the few that are damaged with a comparable product? The most damaged ones face a fence behind the garage, so I'm not really concerned about how well the replacements match to the existing ones; I really just want to stop the water from getting in until I can have the whole thing replaced.

Thanks!

Mark

If you don't care how they look, you can get some sheet metal and slide it up under the broken shingles. A roofer repaired the wood shingle roof on our house in California in that manner, and it passed inspection.

There is a replacement product http://www.gaf-weatherside.com/ available at Oshan http://www.olshanlumber.com/

I can't help you with the installation, but the GAF website has instructions.

Best me to it! We used this product on our house back in 2007 and it blends perfectly with our wavy-shingles. It is pricey, but if you only have a few dozen to replace, then it is quite cost-effective.

Archived