Graffiti

torvald

i see the telephone service building off of richmond near montrose daily. i really like the fusion between the old & new structure. every now and then there is some spray paint graffiti on the front and they shortly powerwash it away. now along the side some more graffiti has recently appeared and they have not removed it. within the week more graffiti has been added by seemingly the same individual (this is on the residential side).

whose responsiblity is it to remove it? the business? the city? a co-worker of mine had his house tagged and was actually fined by the city for not removing it in a timely manner. so with all of that, i was just curious as to the responsibility lies and if it is different in residential areas.

and while i am at it, what does LTAWACS mean? thanks

and while i am at it, what does LTAWACS mean?

usawacs1.jpg

It stands for Boeing's Airborne Warning & Control System. Here's the link: Boeing's AWACS page..

NOTE:The LT infront stands for the rank of Lieutenant. However, the real LTAWACS who was a member long before the HAIF server crash last fall has had to re-signup as CaptAWACS. Whoever is using the LTAWACS handle now is not the original user. See this thread as a reference: The Real AWACS Returns.

i too am shocked at the graffiti that is allowed to stay on buildings, and feel it sends a message that either nobody cares or taking it off is useless since it will go right back up. in any case the real message it sends to those vandals who perform graffiti is that they are allowed to break the law without consequences, which indirectly condones the practice and reinforces most people's feelings that removing graffiti is pointless.

i have little occasion to use I-10 into downtown, but did so recently and was surprised to see that so much graffiti has gone up over the closed businesses. i'm guessing so many places have closed due to the freeway expansion, although the place i was headed was still there (princes hamburgers). the graffiti i saw was complicated and must have taken hours to put up, and it was obvious that more vandals had stopped by to leave their territorial pissing marks. i find it impossible to believe all the people that drive the freeway daily do not see this.

debmartin

Guest danax

I don't know if the City has a graffiti erasing team, but they should. The EastEnd, where I live, has 3 full time anti-graffiti trucks that have graffiti to an almost extinct status, thanks to the East End Management District, which makes me think the City must not be doing much.

There needs to be harsh penalties for these taggers. The Heights is a mess in parts, despite gentrification, as the small band of remaining punks refuse to let the yuppies take and clean up their land! These are the same losers who drive their cars around town with the bass pounding our walls, the same ones who trash the streets with litter and they need to be shown that such selfishness and inconsideration are evil qualities and, while we can forgive them in our hearts, we will swiftly penalize their behavior.

Catching them is the problem.

I don't know if the City has a graffiti erasing team, but they should.

i know that the local energy company has a team that removes or paints over the wheatpaste posting on the metal poles belonging to them. in the montrose wheatpasting got more popular and i was (and i hope i don't offend) relieved to see the spraypaint tagging go down, which is usually on buildings, fences or actually on people