Wheeled Recycling Containers In Montrose

sidegate

Spotted several green wheeled recycling containers out for collection yesterday on a few streets between Richmond and Alabama just west of Dunlavy (just south of the former Wilshire Village). AFAIK this wasn't one of the neighbourhoods in the pilot program. Is it being rolled out over the City...? Here's hoping. Even with the Chronicle down to four pages or something with the 200% humidity this week my recycling bins easily weigh 30 pounds each.

Spotted several green wheeled recycling containers out for collection yesterday on a few streets between Richmond and Alabama just west of Dunlavy (just south of the former Wilshire Village). AFAIK this wasn't one of the neighbourhoods in the pilot program. Is it being rolled out over the City...? Here's hoping. Even with the Chronicle down to four pages or something with the 200% humidity this week my recycling bins easily weigh 30 pounds each.

I live on Branard just west of Wilshire village, and we just got our wheeled container a couple of weeks ago - I like the thought, but now we now have two full sized garbage containers to contend with! Anyway, as a former non-recycler, for some reason having the larger bin has definitely changed the way my wife and I handle trash...

We got some pamphlets from the city regarding the program, but we were also a little confused as we're not in one of the neighborhoods listed on the city's website. To add to the confusion, they didn't pick up the recycling on the first scheduled date last week. However, they did pick it up yesterday

I am in Audubon Place (roughly Montrose to Audubon, Hawthorne to Alabama) and we got our rolling recylcing bins a couple of weeks ago, too. They only pick up every other week (Monday was the second time they picked up) and now the city is starting a "recycling rewards" program where they tage your bin with an RFID chip, weigh your recyclables, and give you "points" that you can turn in for mechandise, or donate to something or another. Here is the website for the program.

I am very happy about this. We also recently started composting all of our oraginc waste, so now our "garbage" for three people barely covers the bottom of our garbage bin.

I am in Audubon Place (roughly Montrose to Audubon, Hawthorne to Alabama) and we got our rolling recylcing bins a couple of weeks ago, too. They only pick up every other week (Monday was the second time they picked up) and now the city is starting a "recycling rewards" program where they tage your bin with an RFID chip, weigh your recyclables, and give you "points" that you can turn in for mechandise, or donate to something or another. Here is the website for the program.

I am very happy about this. We also recently started composting all of our oraginc waste, so now our "garbage" for three people barely covers the bottom of our garbage bin.

You're right, it's every other week - they didn't pick up any of ours on the first pick up date two weeks back. Wasn't aware of the recycling rewards, but sounds like a pretty cool deal... After two weeks our recycling container was full and our regular garbage was probably 1/4 of the usual

I was working on a rental that I own on 1700 blk of W Main, when they were delivering the large green cans. I myself have never recycled, the idea of lifting one of those now old green plastic containers, was too much, plus they didn't take glass. But now they take glass, and the containers have wheels, it's so much easier. Since I have four units they were going to leave four green cans, then I would have eight garbage cans. I took two, but down the street 1800 blk, I saw where they left four cans in front of a fourplex.

Impressive!

Bill White for lifetime mayor appointment.

Interesting...although a better program would reward residents for reducing their waste altogether. I'm a fan of recycling rather than discarding, but even recycling is more resource-intensive than avoiding over-packaged goods in the first place and reusing what you have.

City leaders announced Tuesday a partnership with RecycleBank, a New York-based company that rewards residents with points for the amount of recycling they put out for the city to collect. The points, akin to frequent flier miles, can be used at local and national restaurants and retailers.

The trial program's goal is to increase recycling in a city that a 2008 trade magazine pegged with a recycling rate of only 2.6 percent.

“Success depends on two things: incentives and convenience,” said Scott Lamb, RecycleBank's chief operating officer. “We're providing the citizens of Houston with the best combination of both.”

Beginning Nov. 9, the program will be offered to the 22,000 households that use wheeled 96-gallon recycling bins provided by the city.

Residents get credit for the weight of materials they recycle, which is recorded through a computer chip imbedded in the bins when they are emptied by the sanitation crew.

No more sorting

In March, Houston switched some residents to “single-stream automated collection,” which allows residents to put all their recyclables into one city-provided bin without sorting it. Since then, participation has grown from 24 percent to 55 percent in those neighborhoods, said Harry Hayes, the city's solid waste director.

Hayes said the rewards program should encourage greater participation because of the potential to earn up to $450 a year in credits to redeem at participating businesses.

“That's real savings for your family,” he said.

Carolyn Jackson, who lives in the Shepherd Terrace neighborhood in northwest Houston, said she likes the idea of rewards and will be part of the program, even though she already recycles.

“It's money,” Jackson said. “I don't know if I'll get to $450 a year, but it's good for the community.”

Officials will evaluate the rewards program, which is funded through grants and corporate sponsorships, after the six-month rollout period. If the incentives help to boost recycling, then the program will be expanded to other parts of the city.

Already, Houston is poised to expand the single-stream system to an additional 50,000 households with roughly $3 million in federal stimulus money, Hayes said.

matthew.tresaugue@chron.com

City leaders announced Tuesday a partnership with RecycleBank, a New York-based company that rewards residents with points for the amount of recycling they put out for the city to collect. The points, akin to frequent flier miles, can be used at local and national restaurants and retailers.

The trial program's goal is to increase recycling in a city that a 2008 trade magazine pegged with a recycling rate of only 2.6 percent.

“Success depends on two things: incentives and convenience,” said Scott Lamb, RecycleBank's chief operating officer. “We're providing the citizens of Houston with the best combination of both.”

Beginning Nov. 9, the program will be offered to the 22,000 households that use wheeled 96-gallon recycling bins provided by the city.

Residents get credit for the weight of materials they recycle, which is recorded through a computer chip imbedded in the bins when they are emptied by the sanitation crew.

No more sorting

In March, Houston switched some residents to “single-stream automated collection,” which allows residents to put all their recyclables into one city-provided bin without sorting it. Since then, participation has grown from 24 percent to 55 percent in those neighborhoods, said Harry Hayes, the city's solid waste director.

Hayes said the rewards program should encourage greater participation because of the potential to earn up to $450 a year in credits to redeem at participating businesses.

“That's real savings for your family,” he said.

Carolyn Jackson, who lives in the Shepherd Terrace neighborhood in northwest Houston, said she likes the idea of rewards and will be part of the program, even though she already recycles.

“It's money,” Jackson said. “I don't know if I'll get to $450 a year, but it's good for the community.”

Officials will evaluate the rewards program, which is funded through grants and corporate sponsorships, after the six-month rollout period. If the incentives help to boost recycling, then the program will be expanded to other parts of the city.

Already, Houston is poised to expand the single-stream system to an additional 50,000 households with roughly $3 million in federal stimulus money, Hayes said.

matthew.tresaugue@chron.com

Holy wow! this needs it's own topic in a non-neighborhood section! What good news! I'm going to hold back recycling until the 9th, and definitely pay more attention to sorting bottles etc into recycle containers!

From NYT, article on zero waste

At Yellowstone National Park, the clear soda cups and white utensils are not your typical cafe-counter garbage. Made of plant-based plastics, they dissolve magically when heated for more than a few minutes.

And at eight of its North American plants, Honda is recycling so diligently that the factories have gotten rid of their trash Dumpsters altogether.

Across the nation, an antigarbage strategy known as “zero waste” is moving from the fringes to the mainstream, taking hold in school cafeterias, national parks, restaurants, stadiums and corporations.

The movement is simple in concept if not always in execution: Produce less waste. Shun polystyrene foam containers or any other packaging that is not biodegradable. Recycle or compost whatever you can.

Interesting...although a better program would reward residents for reducing their waste altogether. I'm a fan of recycling rather than discarding, but even recycling is more resource-intensive than avoiding over-packaged goods in the first place and reusing what you have.

Oh joy, people would be dumping their trash all over the neighborhood to reduce their curbside output.

I am in Audubon Place (roughly Montrose to Audubon, Hawthorne to Alabama) and we got our rolling recycling bins a couple of weeks ago, too. They only pick up every other week (Monday was the second time they picked up) and now the city is starting a "recycling rewards" program where they tage your bin with an RFID chip, weigh your recyclables, and give you "points" that you can turn in for mechandise, or donate to something or another. Here is the website for the program.

Suddently... cinder block "recycling" goes through the roof... that bin sure is heavy... here's extra bonus points.

Now go buy something with those points... that you will need to put into a landfill one day.

Genius.

• The title was changed to Wheeled Recycling Containers In Montrose

Archived