HAIF-HD4 software upgrade

editor

Some people have contacted me because they're having trouble with the "View New Posts" feature.

There was a forum software upgrade last week which may be the reason for it. I've just made some tweaks that will hopefully fix things.

If you're having problems, let me know. Also, check your View New Posts settings. To do that, click on your name near the top left part of the web page. This will reveal a drop-down box that includes "My Settings." Click that link, then under Search Settings you'll see two options. The way I have them set so they continue the traditional HAIF method of doing things is to have View New Content Method set to "Show me all content that I have not read," and Forum Results Display set to "Show results like a forum."

Also new with the new version of the software is that the Rich Text Editor that was previously only available for Internet Exploder now works in Safari and Chrome and Firefox. But if you use one of those browsers, you'll have to activate it. It's under the same "My Settings" section mentioned above.

• 2 months later...

The previous topic is now locked.

No screen capture is necessary, I have one already from someone else.

It's a flaw in the Chrome browser. It's a false positive. I got a couple of reports about this before we went to the new software, too.

There's not much I can do about it since Google has no mechanism for web site owners to contact it about problems like this. While Chrome is cool and all, the only thing I can recommend is to use a more mature browser like Safari or Firefox. Using Chrome on HAIF also prevents you from using the Facebook Connect and a few other features which don't work with Chrome.

Facebook Connect on Chrome is working now.

Facebook Connect on Chrome is working now.

Good to hear. Chrome is coming a long way in a short time. I still don't get why it has such a strong Windows bias, though, considering Google is so Linux or multi-platform friendly in so many other arenas.

• 1 month later...

Quite often when I click on a google link to HAIF, I get a redirect that takes me to http://url123.info/bba08eae I usually have to go back to google and try it three times before I get to the correct page. I'm using IE8 on a PC. It seems like it may be tied to my popup blocker.

Sadly, it's not your pop-up blocker. It's a flaw in Google. It's a hijack attempt that affects thousands of web sites. Google is aware of the problem, and is presumably working on a solution. However, this has been going on for years and to date no one at Google will speak about it publicly.

• 3 months later...

I'm guessing this isn't an option or it would have been implemented by now... but I'm throwing the request out there in case it becomes available in the future.

I don't like that "New Posts" only shows those new since your last visit.

Yesterday I visited a low traffic topic that I'd never visited before.. there was an off-post that I wanted to check back on... but since nobody has posted in it since that point, it doesn't show up in my new posts. And since I have no clue what the full topic was about or what forum category it was in.. I'm screwed unless someone else happens to post in it.

I would like to see implemented - the "New Posts" button have a pull down that includes the option for all active topics in last 12, 24, and 48 hours.

Didn't the old forum software have something like this?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm guessing this isn't an option or it would have been implemented by now... but I'm throwing the request out there in case it becomes available in the future.

I don't like that "New Posts" only shows those new since your last visit.

Yesterday I visited a low traffic topic that I'd never visited before.. there was an off-post that I wanted to check back on... but since nobody has posted in it since that point, it doesn't show up in my new posts. And since I have no clue what the full topic was about or what forum category it was in.. I'm screwed unless someone else happens to post in it.

I would like to see implemented - the "New Posts" button have a pull down that includes the option for all active topics in last 12, 24, and 48 hours.

Didn't the old forum software have something like this?

The old forum software didn't have a 12/24/48-hour topic list. But what it did was defaulted to the option to show you all posts you hadn't read.

That feature still exists. It's in your Settings area:

post-1-003819900 1275939525_thumb.jpg

Since the forum software has been upgraded once again, I'm going to close this thread. Please feel free to post new questions in the HAIF-HD5 thread here:

Archived