Digital Cameras

DavidATX

Derr, I passed right by the fact that you had the 828. I never had the opportunity to use the 828 although I did consider buying it when it first came out. I read about alot of purple fringe problems and also heard about the emerald giving strange color effects.

Have you had the emerald issues? Also didn't they discontinue the 828?

Your right about Sony's chassis. Virtually everything they make from photography to video gear is very well made. Don't forget there ccd's (PowerHad) either. They are great low light chips.

For what I use it for, the emerald helps rather than hurts. If you're into wedding or portrait photography, then it's probably not the camera for you.

There have been rumors of Sony discontinuing the F828 for over a year now. As of last week, Sony people I talked to in Japan say it's still going strong. A couple of months ago Sony released a bunch of new cameras and everyone assumed one of them was going to replace the '828. It makes sense. But I think the highest resolution from the new batch was 5mp. In my business, pixels count, so I'm glad they're still making the F828. If it does get discontinued, the first thing I'm going to do is call Yodobashi Camera and order a backup.

What kind of benefit are you getting from the emerald? Is it that noticeable?

I think it helps a lot with the blue and green hues, and to a lesser extent the reds. I take pictures of a lot of primary colors, and I think it helps, especially when compared to my other cameras that don't have the E element. I think it's why the pictures look more like Fuji film than Kodak.