How Is Klein ISD Doing?

Callo

Hwy. 6. Spring has several schools that were omitted from your spreadsheet. That might account for the improvement at Westfield. It is not my intention to diss any message or messenger. All anybody wants is factual information instead of urban rumor. Any teacher who sees unacceptable behavior at any school needs to deal with it or get another job. That attitude comes from my 2 daughters, 2 nieces, 1 nephew. 1 sister and 1 brother in law who currently teach. Forest has needed to absorb many changes in the last 10 years. They are doing a good job at it, now. What do we do with the kids who can't test well on state test. Starve them? Drown them? In your quest for an excellent school in a low crime area you might want to consider moving to another state. Texas does not have a really good record compared to most other states. BTW, when the district offered open enrollment at the high schools a few years ago in order to equalize student population, not one kid left Forest to go to Collins or Oak.

Hwy. 6. Spring has several schools that were omitted from your spreadsheet.

It's my spreadsheet.. but not my data.

I don't know why they chose to leave out some schools like Debakey in Spring, and The Woodlands. They also didnt include the Aldine district the first 2 years. Apparently they are still establishing the guidelines by which they put out their rankings every year.

Some highschools I did omit, yes. My purpose was to only rank highschool zones. I don't know the criteria for getting into some of those charters and magnet schools, but its my understanding they are typically open to anyone in the ISD, so they serve no purpose for parents trying to decide which school zone to move into.

Furthermore, I've seen enough local news special reports on suspect charter schools, that its hard to take schools like Yes you Can Academy and Alphonso Crutch's Life School serious.

I just published the 2nd tab in the spread sheet that has the raw rankings for the 3 years. It includes all the magnet and charter schools, as well as some far outlying districts I just ignored.

http://spreadsheets....Jog&output=html

I know my comparative spreadsheet isn't perfect since some schools are left out. But of the schools that are on the list, their positions should be basically accurate relative to each other.

BTW, when the district offered open enrollment at the high schools a few years ago in order to equalize student population, not one kid left Forest to go to Collins or Oak.

Why? Do parents not give a damn about their kid's safety or quality of education? Perhaps the kids were set and established at Forest. Klein is a top 15 school in the city. Why parents wouldnt jump on that opportunity to switch their students to Klein I can only write off as blissful ignorance or negligent apathy.

I'm also guessing that zero students volunteered to move to Forest from their home zone.

Maybe none have switched.. but thats not the same as incoming new high school students not opting for one of the better schools.

Why? Do parents not give a damn about their kid's safety or quality of education? Perhaps the kids were set and established at Forest. Klein is a top 15 school in the city. Why parents wouldnt jump on that opportunity to switch their students to Klein I can only write off as blissful ignorance or negligent apathy.

I'm also guessing that zero students volunteered to move to Forest from their home zone.

Maybe none have switched.. but thats not the same as incoming new high school students not opting for one of the better schools.

BTW: Klein Forest currently offers an International Business Academy magnet program that draws students from all of the middle schools -- even the ones that were zoned to Klein High. The students have to apply for the business academy and my impression is that they get some very talented students from all over the district.

Any magnet program or school will draw those that are motivated and qualified. Every district has motivated and smart individuals with parents that care about their education. The fact that it is a program housed in an existing school instead of being a seperate entity is inconsequential, its still a magnet program.

The rest of the KF student body does not benefit from the magnet program. Other zoned students arent flocking to KF for the sake of KF.

Good for the Intl Business Magnet Program... but I don't see how that has any bearing on the typical zoned student in KISD or the quality of education for the typical, non-magnet program, student at KF.

Other zoned students arent flocking to KF for the sake of KF.

How do you know? Here are my personal statistics: I know several homeschool families whose children now go to Klein Forest; I know families whose kids would typically go to Klein Oak's IB program and are now at Klein Forest and love it; I know people who didn't move from the attendance zone because they've decided KF is just fine. Of course, these aren't official no.s.... just like your comment above is not supported by official no.s. either.

How do you know? Here are my personal statistics: I know several homeschool families whose children now go to Klein Forest; I know families whose kids would typically go to Klein Oak's IB program and are now at Klein Forest and love it; I know people who didn't move from the attendance zone because they've decided KF is just fine. Of course, these aren't official no.s.... just like your comment above is not supported by official no.s. either.

Well.. Crone stated that since open enrollment started in Klein, there have been no defections from Klein Forest to the better schools.

If you accept as a given that KF is at the bottom of the Klein totem pole ( which I do and which you do not )... it makes sense that if students aren't bothering to switch from lower to higher.. they sure as heck aren't going to switch from higher to lower.

Open enrollment was offered for a very brief time to equalize the population between Collins and Oak, who had too few students, and Forest, too many students. Forest kids could go to Collins or Oak. This was before the addition at Forest. There were no takers. Years ago, Woody Lyons offered a motion to allow open enrollment. If I remember correctly, the motion was seconded but no one voted for it. Klein ISD does not currently offer open enrollment. But, if you go to Mittlestadt and they like you and your grades, you can go to Kleb even though you are in the Wunderlich attendance zone.

But, if you go to Mittlestadt and they like you and your grades, you can go to Kleb even though you are in the Wunderlich attendance zone.

Someone else mentioned this to me recently: How in the world do they get away with doing this? I know a few years ago the Klein Intermediate students were given the option to go to Kleb or Strack because KI did not make AYP ... but Wunderlich has always made AYP so there would be no reason to allow someone out of their zoned middle school.

All they do is say mom works. Then mom gets a babysitter who is employed by the district at Mittlestadt. Since the caregiver drives the kid to school ( ha ha) the kid goes to Kleb. If the district ever checked employment, then they just enroll at the community college, and then never go to class. It's hard work avoiding poor minorities. One lady moved herself and her kid to their lake house in Conroe. Guess they come home to dad and the dog on weekends. I'm thinking about moving up to the Klein attendance zone so that I can supplement my Social Security by saying I babysit 14 year old kids or just selling my address. Thank goodness there are just a few folks with that attitude.

To say that KISD is in decline is a joke. As a matter of fact Klein just became a recognized school district. That is a title that Cy Fair, Tomball, Spring, and any other around KISD can't claim. And I am a KF Grad 1990. While the school is much different than when I went there to say it is crap is just verbal garbage.

To say that KISD is in decline is a joke. As a matter of fact Klein just became a recognized school district. That is a title that Cy Fair, Tomball, Spring, and any other around KISD can't claim. And I am a KF Grad 1990. While the school is much different than when I went there to say it is crap is just verbal garbage.

BRAVO! Thank you for weighing in on this. It's so ridciulous that people think that Klein is in decline because it has become more diverse and that KF is sub-standard. The courseload and expectations put on my child at KF right now are pretty intense. Many of his teachers have their doctorates or even better -- they've former students who came back to teach and just love the school!

Congratulations to Klein obtaining its Recognized status.

ENGcons, please do your research before you post. Cy-Fair ISD is the largest Recognized school district in the State and has claimed that status for the past two years (and for many years before that).

Cy-Fair ISD

2009 - Recognized

2008 - Recognized

2007 - Acceptable

2006 - Acceptable

2005 - Acceptable

2004 - Recognized

2003 - No Ratings Issued in 2003

2002 - Recognized

2001 - Recognized

2000 - Recognized

1999 - Recognized

Klein ISD

2009 - Recognized

2008 - Acceptable

2007 - Acceptable

2006 - Acceptable

2005 - Acceptable

2004 - Recognized

2003 - No Ratings Issued for 2003

2002 - Recognized

2001 - Acceptable

2000 - Acceptable

1999 - Acceptable

Spring ISD

2009 - Acceptable

2008 - Acceptable

2007 - Acceptable

2006 - Acceptable

2005 - Acceptable

2004 - Acceptable

2002 - Recognized

2001 - Recognized

2000 - Recognized

1999 - Acceptable

Conroe ISD

2009 - Recognized

2008 - Acceptable

2007 - Acceptable

2006 - Acceptable

2005 - Acceptable

2004 - Acceptable

2002 - Acceptable

2001 - Recognized

2000 - Acceptable

1999 - Acceptable

Tomball ISD

2009 - Acceptable

2008 - Acceptable

2007 - Acceptable

2006 - Acceptable

2005 - Acceptable

2004 - Acceptable

2002 - Acceptable

2001 - Acceptable

2000 - Acceptable

1999 - Acceptable

*With as much money as Tomball ISD receives per capita from the State I would've thought they would have better rankings (conversely, Cy-Fair ISD receives the least per capita back from the State under current funding formulas)

• 11 months later...

Well, Klein isd is Regonized for another year

Klein HS--------- Reqonized

Klein Forest HS-----Aceptable

Klein Oak HS---------Regonized

Klein Collins HS -----Regonized

On a side note Klein HS cheats during the TAKS Test( or has been cheating while i was there) we had permission to use notes and cell phones from the admin

Yeah.. Those status designation public schools and ISDs use are about as useful as being designated "Who's Who Among America's Jr. Colleges".

Completely Pointless. Let us all strive for Acceptable and Recognized and Mediocrity.

If being a Middle of the Pack ISD gets you a "Recognized Status".. then that designation equates to "Average". That's not a note-worthy thing.

2010 Children At Risk Ranking of Zoned Houston Area Public Schools -

Average Ranking for ISDs

18.4 Katy ISD

23.0 Clear Creek ISD

23.4 Cy-Fair ISD

27.2 Fort Bend ISD

33.7 Spring Branch ISD

38.0 Klein ISD

45.0 Humble ISD

48.2 Alief ISD

48.8 Aldine ISD

53.5 Spring ISD

62.2 Pasadena ISD

63.6 HISD

ISD Rankings

Katy ISD

4 Cinco Ranch High School

5 Taylor High School

24 Katy High School

26 Morton Ranch High School

33 Mayde Creek High School

Clear Creek ISD

12 Clear Lake High School

26 Clear Brook High School

31 Clear Creek High School

Cy-Fair

15 Cy-Fair High School

16 Cypress Creek High School

17 Langham Creek High School

20 Cypress Falls High School

23 Jersey Village High School

35 Cypress Springs High School

38 Cypress Ridge High School

Fort Bend ISD

2 Clements High School

6 Stephen F Austin High School

11 Dulles High School

19 Kempner High School

22 Lawrence E Elkins High School

27 Hightower High School

29 George Bush High School

48 Marshall High School

81 Willowridge High School

Spring Branch ISD

3 Memorial High School

10 Stratford High School

44 Spring Woods High School

78 Northbrook High School

Klein ISD

18 Klein High School

30 Klein Collins High School

39 Klein Oak High School

65 Klein Forest High School

Humble ISD

13 Kingwood High School

77 Humble High School

Alief ISD

1 Kerr High School

58 Taylor High School

64 Hastings High School

70 Elsik High School

Aldine ISD

42 MacArthur High School

62 Aldine High School

69 Nimitz High School

71 Eisenhower High School

Spring ISD

56 Spring High School

51 Westfield High School

Pasadena ISD

41 Pasadena Memorial

52 Dobie High School

66 Sam Rayburn High School

73 South Houston High School

79 Pasadena High School

HISD

9 Bellaire High School

14 Lamar High School

21 Westside High School

40 Barbara Jordan High School

46 Waltrip High School

47 Milby High School

50 Sterling High School

55 Austin High School

57 Reagan High School

59 Chavez High School

60 Lee High School

67 Scarborough High School

72 Madison High School

74 Worthing High School

75 Washington BT High School

76 Davis High School

80 Westbury High School

82 Sharpstown High School

83 Furr High School

84 Sterling High School

85 Lee High School

87 Wheatley High School

88 Kashmere High School

89 Yates High School

90 Jones High School

And for those of you that are more of the Average Median kinda of guys....

Average Median Ranking for ISDs

20 - Cy-Fair ISD

22 - Fort Bend ISD

24 - Katy ISD

26 - Clear Creek ISD

33.75 - Spring Branch ISD

34.5 - Klein ISD

45.0 - Humble ISD

53.5 - Spring ISD

61 - Alief ISD

65.5 - Aldine ISD

66 - Pasadena ISD

72 - HISD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

2011 rankings for Klein ISD

High Schools

Klein High School..................................................................... Recognized.....................................................31

Klein Forest High School...........................................................Academically Acceptable...........................108

Klein Oak High School.............................................................. Recognized....................................................53

Klein Collins High School........................................................... Recognized.....................................................51

• 2 weeks later...

The Texas STaR chart grades each school on how much technology is used by the teachers and students

You may view them by clicking Here

Note: They are in PDF form you can get a PDF viewer by clicking here

• The title was changed to How Is Klein ISD Doing?

Archived