Heights Savings & Loan Building 20th St. & Yale St.

H8S 4 LIFE

For years, Danburg's Department store sat vacant and decrepit at the corner of 20th and Yale. A true eyesore for The Heights until one day it was torn down to make way for a gleaming new CVS Pharmacy. Finally the eyesore was gone, but alas, another one has popped up. What is the verdict on the old Heights Savings & Loan building directly across the street from the Weingarten's strip? Baptist Temple used to use this for Sunday School classes and such, but the Church sold it a couple of years back. Some work had begun, I suppose, refurbishing the building but that work has come to a screeching halt and it now sits there looking worse and worse by the day. Who owns this property now, and what if anything is planned for this rapidly declining property?

Is that Marcella’s place? I haven’t followed the goin’s on there, but didn’t they have a big problem with mold in that building? Don’t know if that’s what halted demolition or not. It’s been discussed in other threads before.

BTW, my grandmother was a Danburg’s Slave for many years. I hated those bastards for how they treated their employees. The building was an eyesore for sure, but I hated to look at it because of the anger it evoked in me.

Is that Marcella’s place? I haven’t followed the goin’s on there, but didn’t they have a big problem with mold in that building? Don’t know if that’s what halted demolition or not. It’s been discussed in other threads before.

BTW, my grandmother was a Danburg’s Slave for many years. I hated those bastards for how they treated their employees. The building was an eyesore for sure, but I hated to look at it because of the anger it evoked in me.

Not sure about Marcella. I'm speaking of the little single story concrete building right next to White's/Sand Dollar (across the alley way). There was a lease sign on the building for a while, as the first bit of construction began but that is long gone. Now a simple cyclone fence encases the building and nothing has happened in at least 2 years. I think that you are confusing the "new" savings and loan building with the old one that I am referencing. Seems like the multi-story S&L building with the large circular window in the middle on the corner of W. 19th and Yale was the one with huge mold and asbestos concerns. Thus, it sat abandoned for years as Compass Bank was relegated to the small brick corner building at W. 18th and Yale until those problems could be worked out and the building demoed.

Quite a few people must have harbored that same anger over Danburg's. As I remember it didn't take long at all for the windows to be smashed out and the interior of the store destroyed once they closed up shop. It sat there as a boarded up monstrocity for at least 20 years as inner family feuding delayed the inevitable sale of the property to CVS a few years ago.

“It sat there as a boarded up monstrocity for at least 20 years.”

I was at Hamilton from ‘61-’64, and I remember people visiting Hamilton, or picking up kids after school, some teachers, and even a couple of students using the Danburg’s parking lot. So I assume the store closed somewhere around that time, and before ’64. Grandma was out of a job, so she worked for a short time at Shopper’s Fair on Shepherd, and then to work at Weiner’s on 11th. You remember that one, right? It was right next to Firestone! LOL

Weiner’s was the same story, different verse – cheapass owners paying little with no bennies.

“It sat there as a boarded up monstrocity for at least 20 years.”

I was at Hamilton from ‘61-’64, and I remember people visiting Hamilton, or picking up kids after school, some teachers, and even a couple of students using the Danburg’s parking lot. So I assume the store closed somewhere around that time, and before ’64. Grandma was out of a job, so she worked for a short time at Shopper’s Fair on Shepherd, and then to work at Weiner’s on 11th. You remember that one, right? It was right next to Firestone! LOL

Weiner’s was the same story, different verse – cheapass owners paying little with no bennies.

Well sure I remember Weiner's, but I guess the Firestone is one of those things that my memory has abandoned over time. dry.gif

• The title was changed to Heights Savings & Loan Building 20th St. & Yale St.

Archived