Commercial Property On FM 2978

I notice that there are 100s of acres owned by WOC right on 2978. I hope that its not going to be a slew of apartments and strip malls. But what else would pop up next to a Walmart?

Does anyone know the furture plans for these area. All the signs just say "mixed commercial"........we have a lot of those signs back here in Sterling Ridge. :(

I notice that there are 100s of acres owned by WOC right on 2978. I hope that its not going to be a slew of apartments and strip malls. But what else would pop up next to a Walmart?

Does anyone know the furture plans for these area. All the signs just say "mixed commercial"........we have a lot of those signs back here in Sterling Ridge.  :(

I heard something about a Lowe's or Home Depot going in there.

I heard something about a Lowe's or Home Depot going in there.

Well, there is a new Home Depot on 1488, so I don't think that's it. Lowe's is possible. I guess before its all done and over with 2978 is going to be another 1960 or Westhiemer. So much for the quiet suburbs.

You got it right. FM 2978 will be the next 1960. Montgomery County is developing a comprehensive transportation plan.

FM 1488 will also be upgraded too.

You got it right.  FM 2978 will be the next 1960.  Montgomery County is developing a comprehensive transportation plan.

FM 1488 will also be upgraded too.

Do you know if they are planning to wide 2978 before the Walmart comes in? Its already backed up to turn into Woodlands Prkway, being that its single lane.

I was involved in a comprehensive Montgomery County transportation plan about 8 months back.

We primarily gave them the roads that needed to be improved. Corridors that needed to be created to ease congestion. The timeline for implementation wasn't known at the time. I think you should start seeing improvements soon though.

Once concept was to add some more grade separated interchanges to the Woodlands parkway. This isn't as crasy as it seems. A few carefully placed ones would help the residents out greatly.

FM 1488 is a likely corridor to improve east-west travel for the county. The are planning to extend it east from I-45 to US 59.

FM 2978 will probably just become another 4 land boulevard.

Thanks for that info. We bought stupidly unaware that any of the Walmart and 2978 construction was going to occur. I mean if you are going to live in the Suburbs, live in the burbs. Now we are once again going to be next to low income housing and miles of strip malls.

Oh well, I hope it doesn't kill our homes value.

Thanks for that info. We bought stupidly unaware that any of the Walmart and 2978 construction was going to occur. I mean if you are going to live in the Suburbs, live in the burbs. Now we are once again going to be next to low income housing and miles of strip malls.

Oh well, I hope it doesn't kill our homes value.

What neighborhood do you live in? There are so many high end neighborhoods out that way (Carlton Woods, Cascade Canyon, Player/Palmer Woods, etc) that I don't think they will take a big dive.

If 2978 is truly the next 1960, then look at neighborhoods around Champions. They are very close to the mess that is 1960, but aren't exactly cheap.

article about proposed road developments in Montgomery County area

Wish I could endorse Champions area like campbell did, but the crime rate in that area is sky-high. The people living in that area believe it is due to close proximity to F.M. 1960 and to 24-hour Wal-Marts and all roads cutting through neighborhoods. Yes, there are beautiful homes out that way, but the crime would be a huge detractor from buying there if you're looking for a quiet suburban family-type neighborhood. However, if you're looking for the steal of the century and high crime is not a huge deterrent from buying somewhere, look at Olde Oaks. There are mansions out there going for a song these days.

I don't care how pretty they make it, its still a Walmart. Target would have been a better choice. I think there are about 6 Walmarts in a 10 mile radius around here.

Six? Wow, I had no idea. There is the one on Sawdust and the Super Walmart on 242, but that's all I had seen.

You just have to hope that the WOC realizes that a big chunk of their income is based on our home values, so won't do anything to shoot their own foot.

Six?  Wow, I had no idea.  There is the one on Sawdust and the Super Walmart on 242, but that's all I had seen.

You just have to hope that the WOC realizes that a big chunk of their income is based on our home values, so won't do anything to shoot their own foot.

yeah

1. one near college park on 45

2. one toward Montgomery, TX/Conroe. forget the road

3. the one on Sawdust

4. one on 249

5. one off Kuykendal and somewhere around 2920 or Spring Cypress

6. now the one going up on 2978

A few more that I forget about not to far away.

I don't care how pretty they make it, its still a Walmart. Target would have been a better choice. I think there are about 6 Walmarts in a 10 mile radius around here.

Exactly! A Walmart is a Walmart and it is known for attracting "riff raff" elements and raising the crime rate. Not to mention that it is a dump. When I first saw the sign of Walmart on Woodlands Parkway, I was shocked as I never expected Woodlands to allow that place to be built inside Woodlands, let alone on a heavily wooded piece of land. I pretended I didnt actually see that sign. Regardless of how Walmart blends itself into Woodlands, its reputation is going to bring down the reputation of the Woodlands.

I wonder why the residents of the area didnt protest the plan, considering that many of the homes near that site are expensive and risk losing their property values.

I have noticed that Walmarts have been popping near several upscale subdivisions such as the one across Royal Oaks, the one in Sugarland (which is going to be right across new Telfair subdivision), those in Champions and Cy-fair areas and now this one in Woodlands. In fact, I recently read an announcement from Walmart that Houston area is under-served and so they were rushing to meet their "obligations".

If the site is within the Woodlands, then 10-15% of the land much remain untouched typically in front.

There are nice Wal-Mart facilities. It just depends on the community they build in and how the community is engaged.

If the site is within the Woodlands, then 10-15% of the land much remain untouched typically in front.

There are nice Wal-Mart facilities.  It just depends on the community they build in and how the community is engaged.

I agree. It's not just riff-raff that goes to Wal-Mart. Like it or not, almost everyone near a wal-mart shops there. There are the few that may boycott, but there is a reason that Wal-Mart is the largest company in the world. They provide a service that most people want. If you don't or haven't shopped at Wal-Mart, you probably are in the extreme minority. I'm not saying Wal-Mart is great for the neighborhood or society in general, but it's working.

I was much more upset to see the HEB go in directly across the street from the Kroger down the road. I thought for sure we couldn't support both. But I guess I'm wrong. They are always both semi-crowded.

In fact, I recently read an announcement from Walmart that Houston area is under-served and so they were rushing to meet their "obligations".

What a great way to spin the truth there!

Wal-mart knows it attracts "riff-raff" and they know that the "typical" Wal-Mart customer is not spending a lot of money in their stores.

So, their new gameplan is to go into upscale areas where customers have no problem spending more than a few bucks, to bring up the "check average", so to speak, and to lose the unprofitable "riff-raff" sector.

There are stores that Wal-mart is closing and leaving for good because of the perception of nonprofitability in high "loss of inventory" in certain sectors.

Rushing to meet their "obligations"! Sign me, still laughing.......

I was much more upset to see the HEB go in directly across the street from the Kroger down the road. I thought for sure we couldn't support both. But I guess I'm wrong. They are always both semi-crowded.

Yes, but do you notice how poor the produce and the meat is? There are not enough people to for each store to keep a good turn over rate. Everything is out of date or about to be, We have had 4 spoiled meat problems in 3 months. Now we go to the Randalls in PC. MUCH better store.

I predict that HEB will pull out in a few years. Its the worst of the two.

And I hope something good fills Texadelphia's space. That place was so awful and I am so glad it closed!

Yes, but do you notice how poor the produce and the meat is? There are not enough people to for each store to keep a good turn over rate. Everything is out of date or about to be, We have had 4 spoiled meat problems in 3 months. Now we go to the Randalls in PC. MUCH better store.

We don't really buy meat, so I haven't noticed. Did this only start occuring after the HEB went in?

We buy a lot of grapes and strawberries from Kroger. They have all been fine. If we buy meat, it's from the organic section mostly, so that is a whole other animal.

We never shop at Randalls because it's so much more expensive.

I actually wish we had a Whole Foods out here instead of a Kroger & HEB though.

There are stores that Wal-mart is closing and leaving for good because of the perception of nonprofitability in high "loss of inventory" in certain sectors.

Otay...whatever you wanna think

But this should be good news to the anti Wal-Mart gang. Now the Mom and Pops can open back up and continue over charging people like they did back in the day.

We just moved here 5 months ago.

I am sure they will put a another store at Terramont, which will really make it hard for the Sterling Ridge stores. WHole Foods would be nice, but there is that Woodlands Market that fills that need. They actually have the best fish out here.

And then there is the Walmart that will provide groceries. I think they are "over supplying" this area.

I'm no expert on this subject, but it seems to me that, when multiple Wal-Marts go up in The Woodlands, they primarily will draw residents from the immediate area. I've been into Wal-Marts in different parts of Houston and I've seen radically different types of clientele and even different stock. I went into a Wal-Mart in a predominantly white suburb and I saw a whole aisle full of Lord of the Rings toys at Christmas. So I went to another Wal-Mart that same day about 15 miles away, this one being in a predominantly minority and low-income part of town, and the Lord of the Rings selection was only part of a single shelf!

^^^

That's part of Wal Marts smart invetory system. I've watched a Biography on Wal-Mart on A&E and an hour long presentation on CNBC. They have one of the most efficient inventory systems in the country. It is to the point where they specifically tailor the goods going to certain stores based the clientel and the history. Both documentaries were good and show all sides to the Wal-Mart phenomenon.

Going upscale is only for select stores. The closing of some stores is more due to shrinkage than not liking the lower scale customers. The lower end customers makes Wal-Mart's profits. Wal-Mart is not just trying to get into Target and K-Mart's markets by going slightly more upscale. Target and K-Mart pulled out of the lower end discount retailer market concept because Wal-Mart won that competition.

^^^

That's part of Wal Marts smart invetory system.  I've watched a Biography on Wal-Mart on A&E and an hour long presentation on CNBC.  They have one of the most efficient inventory systems in the country.  It is to the point where they specifically tailor the goods going to certain stores based the clientel and the history.  Both documentaries were good and show all sides to the Wal-Mart phenomenon.

Going upscale is only for select stores.  The closing of some stores is more due to shrinkage than not liking the lower scale customers.  The lower end customers makes Wal-Mart's profits.  Wal-Mart is not just trying to get into Target and K-Mart's markets by going slightly more upscale.  Target and K-Mart pulled out of the lower end discount retailer market concept because Wal-Mart won that competition.

Walmart in trouble?

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050512/earns_retailers.html?.v=4

Guest danax
^^^

That's part of Wal Marts smart invetory system.  I've watched a Biography on Wal-Mart on A&E and an hour long presentation on CNBC.  They have one of the most efficient inventory systems in the country.  It is to the point where they specifically tailor the goods going to certain stores based the clientel and the history. 

That could explain why the store in Pasadena carries Elvis beach towels.

Wal-Mart is not in trouble. They've dominated one market (lower scale discounty retail) and want to branch out to others (upper scale retail) like Target and K-Mart. Target and K-Mart are surviving because they are focusing on a slightly upscale market that Wal-Mart doesn't. The places them in different playing fields.

The inventory system would be responsible for those elvis towels. They have gathered some much marketing research by studying there sales its scary. They really know how to run a tight ship.

Archived