M Boutique Hotel At 4822 Washington Ave.

roadrunner

From the link above^

Neighborhoods along central Houston's Washington Avenue corridor signaled their support Monday, Aug. 10, for a proposed “boutique” hotel to attract upscale guests to the area's trendy bar and restaurant scene as well as Houston's other attractions.Matthew James, who owns MaJa Design Group in Midtown, said he is working with EDI Architecture and other partners to create M Boutique Hotel with 15 unique suites and indulgent amenities in the lower and ground floors at 4822 Washington Ave.

Rooms would have themes like “Houston, we have landed,” “Welcome to the jungle” and “Classical indulgences.” Rates would be $350 to $450 per night. This would include a car and driver at no cost for nearby destinations, with a fee charged to visit other areas of town. The plan includes a small restaurant, a bar, conference space and rooftop pool and spa.

Some parking is available for the hotel. It would also share spaces with the fitness center and nearby restaurants, James said.

• Like 1

This would be nice for the area, but how are "upscale guests" going to find out about this place with all the other nice hotels scattered all around Houston.

for a city the size of houston, i would actually say we have a conspicuous lack of hotels like this one. people who stay at this kind of place seek them out and they'll find it.

• Like 1

Weird, I see where the location for this will be, but I still don't understand where they're going to get all the room for a rooftop pool, a couple dozen rooms, etc etc?

The space next door to Soma Sushi is only about 15,000 sq ft I think, how are they going to split that up into hotel rooms?

Unless it's one of those hotel rooms that charge by the hour!

:)

This jsut doesnt make sense to me. Why would one pay upwards of $400 a night to stay in a strip center?

Someone is trying to bank on the uber-inflated image of Washington right now, hoping to attract people from Dallas or *snicker* celebrities.

(when IMHO its nothing Houston hasn't had before - Richmond, Shepherd, Midtown, etc...)

On top of that today's Chronicle reports on the drop in hotel occupancy. Interestingly if you look at the growth in the number of hotel rooms the number of occupied rooms hasn't changed since 2004. The number of ROOMS has increase, but the number of people interested in renting a room hasn't . Houston isn't a tourist destination. It's great that Washington Avenue is making the NY Times travel section, but I'm still not convinced that out of towners will really come just for Washington Avenue. And really to rent a room in 15,000 sq. ft. "boutique" hotel in a strip center with a view of a pawn shop? Ain't happening.

• Like 1

<br />On top of that today's Chronicle reports on the drop in hotel occupancy.  Interestingly if you look at the growth in the number of hotel rooms the number of occupied rooms hasn't changed since 2004.  The number of ROOMS has increase, but the number of people interested in renting a room hasn't .  Houston isn't a tourist destination.  It's great that Washington Avenue is making the NY Times travel section, but I'm still not convinced that out of towners will really come just for Washington Avenue.  And really to rent a room in 15,000 sq. ft. "boutique" hotel in a strip center with a view of a pawn shop?  Ain't happening.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Downtown is still short on supply for rooms, in my opinion.

• The title was changed to M Boutique Hotel At 4822 Washington Ave.