Here is an article from today's NYTimes about White Roofs and the benefits that accrue.

I will need a roof in a couple of years, and am interested to hear if anyone has tried a white roof (as opposed to spraying your existing roof white) here in town.

Intuitively it makes sense, and heck, the Secretary of Energy is for it, so why not? I think it will probably look odd, however.

Here is an article from today's NYTimes about White Roofs and the benefits that accrue.

I will need a roof in a couple of years, and am interested to hear if anyone has tried a white roof (as opposed to spraying your existing roof white) here in town.

Intuitively it makes sense, and heck, the Secretary of Energy is for it, so why not? I think it will probably look odd, however.

the ones here tend to look mildewy in the long run.

I would just double-check that your potential white reflective roof doesn't "shine" into your neighbor's eyes. If I look out the window at the house across the street I can imagine how much brighter my front yard (and windows in the front of the house) would be if that house had a white roof.

What kind of roof do you have? Steep slope (shingle) or low slope ("flat")?

Low slope roofs have several "white" applications. The City of Houston has already developed and put in place a new building codes for solar & thermal reflectivity. In essence a TPO (thermoplastic) roof, PVC roof or a modified bitumen roof with specialized coating on the ceramic granules can meet the requirements.

TPO is the least expensive but has the most problems as far as long term life.

PVC will last a long time but is not particularly "green" when it comes to disposal. It will however withstand ponding water.

Modified bitumen is aspaltic based and is not particulary "green" due to reliance on the oil industry but will last the longest on a roof when certain conditions are met (particularly positive drainage / no water ponding).

If you are talking about a steep slope roof, then the best answer you will find for shingles will be GAF Cool Roofs or CertainTeed Solaris. The colors are not "white" but are pretty much the normal asphalt base shingle colors with a specialized coating.

It is a steep slope. It is also a "protected" landmark, so I will have to get the historical commission to approve any substantial change to the look of the house.

I will look at the GAF and CertainTeed products. I think my wife will be happy if it is not "white" white.

Also, remember that you can qualify for up to a $1,500.00 federal tax credit for using a qualifying "cool" roof. CertainTeed Solaris does qualify and I would bet that GAF's Cool Roof shingles would, too.

You should've come to the last HAIF Happy Hour over at my place. On a 95-degree afternoon with blue skies, the exposed wooden decking is cool to the touch. What's on top of it is one layer of felt paper, two 1.5" layers of ISO foam board, and a white Duro-Last PVC membrane.

Archived