Looking For Architect/Designer

Any architects or designers out there who are available to draw a 2 story garage in Houston Heights? I need someone who can produce permit ready plans, including engineering stamp. Scope of project is 24 foot by 24 foot garage with upstairs efficiency apartment/gameroom. Please PM me with your fee schedule.

Posters who have used a reasonably priced architect or designer who has produced plans that were permitted by the City of Houston may feel free to post or PM a name and number. Please note that I am not interested in someone who will take months to finish the plans. I've already gone through this frustration once, and am not willing to endure it again.

Thanks in advance.

You do know that an architect does not draw or seal structural drawings, right? An architect's professional liability insurance does not allow it. "Designers" do not qualify for professional liability insurance. You may have been through a construction project before, but you need to educate yourself on why poject documentation takes the time that it does and the roles licensed professionals play in building realization. Proper and correct production of "permit ready" plans requires an architect to not only design the esthetics of the building according to the client's programtic needs, but also to correspond and coordinate with the owner, geotechnical engineer, civil engineer and structural engineer. No licensed professional takes on liability; especially on a commercial building for public use, without having the proper survey, drainage or stuctural design work complete; and yes, that takes time. A geotechnical report based from soil testing is required by the structural engineer to begin their work. That's a critical task taking several weeks alone for the owner to hire the geo-tech, the architect draws a schematic layout and marks where the borings should be (based on reccomendations of the geo-tech and using the owner provided survey), then the project gets on the drilling rig's schedule, the samples are taken back to a testing facility, the report is complied, submitted to the architect who then submitts it to the strucutural engineer to begin the strucutral design based on the architect's schematic drawings. A current and correct survey is always required by the architect. The civil engineer performs the survey and tells you what's required for storm water drainage design. Quickie clients make architects say "no thanks" and that's who we can't stand to endure. Your post has every warning sign of a potential disaster, setting yourself up for disappointment.

Architect / Engineers / Clients - agree or disagree?

I'm sure he could find a qualified designer/CAD drafter to produce the CD's and have a civil and structural engineer stamp them for permit. Yes, he will have to provide soils test, topo survey, and PL survey but it should only take a 5-6 weeks total considering this is a small project with no frills (assuming you have your program facts inline). See:P9280024.jpg

Can't the permits be walked in a day too?

Unless you're intending to undertake some especially creative project, you do not need an architect. As names suggested, a drafter and structural engineer can go back and forth until the plans are suitable, and otherwise you only have to jump over a few low hurdles. If you're concerned about code compliance, all of the books you'd ever need cost about $275-ish down at the Brown Book Shop.

Try not to expose yourself to Code as a lawyer right off the bat, and certainly do not behave like one. Seek their 'expert' input and use somewhat better materials than are required to indicate that you're acting in good faith. To the extent that it costs you a little extra, it probably will be worth it to hedge against potential headaches. ...plus, you can brag snottily to your McMansion-dwelling neighbors about how you built your garage more solidly than their house. That's something you Heights people like to do, right? :D;)

I haven't found a draftsman and structural engineer that I'd want to recommend, yet, but let me know when you need recommendations on subs for framing, carpentry, roofing, concrete work, steel, or interior buildout. I've used some awesome guys that do solid work and that can give a great price.

You do know that an architect does not draw or seal structural drawings, right? An architect's professional liability insurance does not allow it. "Designers" do not qualify for professional liability insurance. You may have been through a construction project before, but you need to educate yourself on why poject documentation takes the time that it does and the roles licensed professionals play in building realization. Proper and correct production of "permit ready" plans requires an architect to not only design the esthetics of the building according to the client's programtic needs, but also to correspond and coordinate with the owner, geotechnical engineer, civil engineer and structural engineer. No licensed professional takes on liability; especially on a commercial building for public use, without having the proper survey, drainage or stuctural design work complete; and yes, that takes time. A geotechnical report based from soil testing is required by the structural engineer to begin their work. That's a critical task taking several weeks alone for the owner to hire the geo-tech, the architect draws a schematic layout and marks where the borings should be (based on reccomendations of the geo-tech and using the owner provided survey), then the project gets on the drilling rig's schedule, the samples are taken back to a testing facility, the report is complied, submitted to the architect who then submitts it to the strucutural engineer to begin the strucutral design based on the architect's schematic drawings. A current and correct survey is always required by the architect. The civil engineer performs the survey and tells you what's required for storm water drainage design. Quickie clients make architects say "no thanks" and that's who we can't stand to endure. Your post has every warning sign of a potential disaster, setting yourself up for disappointment.

Architect / Engineers / Clients - agree or disagree?

Thanks for the scare tactic, but this ain't my first rodeo. I know what I need and who does it. I was probably working in construction when you were in diapers.

Cancel the request. I got things taken care of. I'll have the plans in hand (with engineer's stamp) soon.

Niche, I'd love to talk to your subs now. I should have my plans by tomorrow afternoon. Looking for concrete, framing and roofing right now.

Archived