HCAD Vs. Selling Price

richardtb

If I look at a property that was sold (say) in 2003 on HCAD, the reported market value and the appraised value for 2003 on the website are the same. I assume that these values are equal to the price at which the property sold. Am I correct?

Also, on the HCAD site it says

"You can review a complete list of sales in our records, as well as more detailed information on each property sold, at our information and assistance center located on the third floor at our office at 13013 Northwest Freeway in Houston."

Has anyone gone there? What additional information can one get by going to the office? (E.g., more recent information...)

Thanks!

Richard

If I look at a property that was sold (say) in 2003 on HCAD, the reported market value and the appraised value for 2003 on the website are the same.  I assume that these values are equal to the price at which the property sold. Am I correct?

"You can review a complete list of sales in our records, as well as more detailed information on each property sold, at our information and assistance center located on the third floor at our office at 13013 Northwest Freeway in Houston."

Has anyone gone there? What additional information can one get by going to the office? (E.g., more recent information...) 

Thanks!

Richard

No, it is not necessarily what the house sold for. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower. The HCAD values usually have more to do with how effective the owner is/was in fighting their tax appraisals than real market value.

I haven't gone to the third floor, but since I have MLS access, I can pull up sales that way so I wouldn't have the need.

If I look at a property that was sold (say) in 2003 on HCAD, the reported market value and the appraised value for 2003 on the website are the same.  I assume that these values are equal to the price at which the property sold. Am I correct?

There is pretty much no correlation between HCAD values and sale prices, espescially in areas where there have been large value swings. In more price stable areas, the HCAD market values aren't bad....pretty good, actually....now the HCAD appraised values can be spot on or totally off, depending on how many protests have been filed, and how much appreciation has been subject to the 10% cap.

PM me with the address, and I can probably get you the info you're looking for.

• The title was changed to HCAD Vs. Selling Price