337 arrests over 4th of July weekend

editor

'Hot Spots' Draw 337 Arrests in No Refusal Anti-DWI Operation

Houston, Tx - Harris County District Attorney Patricia Lykos reported that prosecutors and law enforcement teams combined for 337 total DWI-related charges in the latest No Refusal operation targeting area DWI "Hot Spots."

Patrols and testing units teamed up for the July 3-4 weekend to make 182 arrests, coupled with the June 26-27 weekend's total of 155 (note: this is updated from the previously announced total of 110). For both weekends, charges include those on 74 defendants with one or more previous DWI offenses. Twelve of those arrested were charged with DWI with child passengers in the vehicle. One charge was filed for intoxication manslaughter.

Brent Mayr, chief of the District Attorney's Vehicular Crimes Section, said the operation was especially successful in continuing to reduce the rate of suspects who refuse voluntary intoxication breath testing. No Refusal teams gained warrants against 68 of those intoxicated drivers -- about 20 percent of the total arrested - to draw blood samples for mandatory testing.

"That rate is down significantly from earlier No Refusal operations," Mayr said. "Drivers are getting the message: With this program, you can't beat a DWI by refusing to 'blow.'" He said the operation has also made area roadways safer for the motoring public.

The latest "Hot Spots" program, sponsored by the Houston and Pasadena Police Departments, concentrated enforcement teams in areas of Harris County with the highest previous frequency of DWI-related vehicle crashes. They included the downtown area and other central Houston locations, as well as the Westside and sections of Clear Lake and Pasadena.

More operations are planned for peak travel periods in the future.

No Refusal teams gained warrants against 68 of those intoxicated drivers -- about 20 percent of the total arrested - to draw blood samples for mandatory testing.

So, how do they force you to give a blood sample against your will?

Do they have large policemen tie you down to a chair while someone sticks a large needle in your arm?

This doesn't sound like the American I know and love.

So, how do they force you to give a blood sample against your will?

Do they have large policemen tie you down to a chair while someone sticks a large needle in your arm?

This doesn't sound like the American I know and love.

That's a start.

Then they should also deport all illegals they find in jail, regardless of past criminal history: illegal is illegal.

Got two sides of a mouth, I assume?

Which one is the true statement?

Unlike some unlucky HAIFer, *I* will cooperate with the police. If you're stupid enough to drink and drive, get ready for one of the BETTER consequences that could happen for putting yourself in that situation..

Got two sides of a mouth, I assume?

Which one is the true statement?

Unlike some unlucky HAIFer, *I* will cooperate with the police. If you're stupid enough to drink and drive, get ready for one of the BETTER consequences that could happen for putting yourself in that situation..

Your body should not be subject to piercing by sharp instruments, against your will, by government authorities. No matter what you've done.

The police already have video cameras, field sobriety tests, field breath tests, and so on, to use as evidence against drivers who are really drunk. If they can't make convictions based upon that, then the problem lies somewhere else. Sticking needles into people against their will is not the solution to that problem.

How do they get a judge to sign a search warrant? Don't they need some kind of evidence to make their case for that? Why isn't that evidence by itself already good enough?

Do you really want the precedent in place that your body belongs to the government, to do with as they please?

And if you're innocent and just following the advice of attorneys to refuse all the other tests, then they shouldn't punish you with needles for standing up for your rights as the accused.

Anyone who thinks this is okay, is someone who really frightens me...

Your body should not be subject to piercing by sharp instruments, against your will, by government authorities. No matter what you've done.

The police already have video cameras, field sobriety tests, field breath tests, and so on, to use as evidence against drivers who are really drunk. If they can't make convictions based upon that, then the problem lies somewhere else. Sticking needles into people against their will is not the solution to that problem.

How do they get a judge to sign a search warrant? Don't they need some kind of evidence to make their case for that? Why isn't that evidence by itself already good enough?

Do you really want the precedent in place that your body belongs to the government, to do with as they please?

And if you're innocent and just following the advice of attorneys to refuse all the other tests, then they shouldn't punish you with needles for standing up for your rights as the accused.

Anyone who thinks this is okay, is someone who really frightens me...

Chapter 18 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure contains all the authority that they need. I suggest that you start there.

Am I correct in assuming that if the murderer of your loved one left his blood at the crime scene, and a warrant was requested to compare the blood of the suspect to that found at the crime scene, you would be opposed to the taking of that blood?

Is it also your position that a defendant should be rewarded for fighting the taking of his bodily fluids by not allowing the police to take them without his consent? Is the community a safer place when the defendants know that by fighting the taking of their fluids, they win?

BTW, "field breath tests" are not admissible as evidence in Texas courts.

Chapter 18 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure contains all the authority that they need. I suggest that you start there.

Am I correct in assuming that if the murderer of your loved one left his blood at the crime scene, and a warrant was requested to compare the blood of the suspect to that found at the crime scene, you would be opposed to the taking of that blood?

Damn dirty DNA scrapes!! How dare the government actually use biological science to prosecute crime.

Archived