Garage Doors & R-Value

Anyone have a recommendation for R-value on a new garage door? I'm trying to decide on how high to go; I've got options ranging from 12 to 15 to 17.8. Is the 17 overkill? I'm inclined to go as high as possible, but there is, of course, a cost difference.

Anyone have a recommendation for R-value on a new garage door? I'm trying to decide on how high to go; I've got options ranging from 12 to 15 to 17.8. Is the 17 overkill? I'm inclined to go as high as possible, but there is, of course, a cost difference.

What are the cost differences? I have never priced the insulated ones.

Are you planning on air conditioning the space?

What are the cost differences? I have never priced the insulated ones.

Are you planning on air conditioning the space?

Off the top of my head, i think i have 2 $1700 - $1800 bids; one for a R-10 and one for an R-15, then one for $2300 for the R-17.5. Home Depot came out to $1800 for an R-17 model, but i would rather go with an actual door company, although that's not a guarantee of better quality installation.

My garage is not air-conditioned, but is attached to the house. R-Value is one of the few characteristics that stood out to differentiate the multiple models/vendors.

You're just going to create a heat reservoir. The insulation will decrease the rate of temperature rise/fall in your garage, but it will not ultimately decrease the max temp.

So at 6:00 p.m... the heat from an un-insulated garage can start escaping as the outside temp begins to decrease... meanwhile, in your house, at 10:00 p.m. at night - it's still 95 degrees in there.

Take Red's advice.