I have purchased a older home in Sunset Heights and it needs a new garage. The old single garage (well storage shed) is built right on the back property line. The door of the garage has about 15' set back from the property line. Question, if I demo this structure and build a new 2 Car garage will I have to have setback? Thanks

My homes previous owners "repaired" the single car garage and were able to pour a slab and expand it to 2 cars with no issues. Not sure of the legality but they didn't demo and used all the materials from the previous structure. You can see where they graphed the old single car roof to the new materials. Just another suggestion worth looking into.

I have purchased a older home in Sunset Heights and it needs a new garage. The old single garage (well storage shed) is built right on the back property line. The door of the garage has about 15' set back from the property line. Question, if I demo this structure and build a new 2 Car garage will I have to have setback? Thanks

I would suggest you "remodel" it into a 2 car garage. PM if you would like a bid.

I would suggest you "remodel" it into a 2 car garage. PM if you would like a bid.

I would not be so quick to "remodel", just to get a measly 3 foot setback. Depending on what you desire as far as the new garage goes, the cost of the "remodel" could approach the cost of a new garage, and because the "remodel" requires you to use much of the old shed, you are limited in what you can do. In other words, you may pay the same money for a less than ideal garage, just because of your obsession with a 3 foot patch of dirt.

How do I know this? I just knocked down a 2 car garage on my back property line so that I can build a new one.

I was thinking I had to have 5' setback, its in Sunset Heights. I am considering both senarios but believe it would probably not be $ practical to utilize the existing wall. Will be moving into the house in the next two weeks and will be looking for a bid. Thank you all.

It could be 5 feet. Sometimes it is 3 sometimes 5. Check with Planning at the City.

it could be zero, checking with you HOA if you have one, read deep restrictions, and the city are all the best route. you need to know about easements, both underground and arial. there is more to it then just that 3' piece of land

I would not be so quick to "remodel", just to get a measly 3 foot setback. Depending on what you desire as far as the new garage goes, the cost of the "remodel" could approach the cost of a new garage, and because the "remodel" requires you to use much of the old shed, you are limited in what you can do. In other words, you may pay the same money for a less than ideal garage, just because of your obsession with a 3 foot patch of dirt.

How do I know this? I just knocked down a 2 car garage on my back property line so that I can build a new one.

You are speaking of a remodel while I was talking about a "remodel" ;)

It would certainly cost the same as a new garage, because it would be.

I was able to build a new garage with only a 3 ft setback on the side. I actually increased the rear setback from where it was originally, because it related to the house better that way, but I shifted it (and the driveway) over a few feet toward my neighbor. Anyway, I can't imagine that your rear setback would need to be any greater than the side setback. I'm sorta in Sunset Heights (Milroy Place) and my project was fully permitted and inspected with that 3 ft. setback.

You are speaking of a remodel while I was talking about a "remodel" ;)

It would certainly cost the same as a new garage, because it would be.

I know what you were talking about. I was merely pointing out that "remodeling" in the same footprint has inherent limitations. One must consider if saving that few feet of setback is worth the limitations imposed by staying within that footprint.

Do learn from the developer on Arlington who tore down a perfectly good, not too long ago remodeled home to build a new one, only to find that the setbacks had increased since the build of the original house and therefore he had less property on which to build. He discovered his mistake prior to tearing down the garage. With the new setbacks, he would not be allowed to build where the garage is at all, so he has a big three story house with small garage. HA!

Know your setbacks. The footprint you have now may not be allowed in a new build, so find out before any demo. Once it's gone, it's gone.

True. I bought this house in 2004, and the closing paperwork came with a renewed deed restriction from 1994. But, then I find that a NEW deed restriction covenant was passed in 2002 or 2003. The setbacks are different. Then there are the City of Houston setback requirements. If you have an alley, the setbacks change, and they can vary, depending on whether you have a 15 foot alley or a larger one. It can be very frustrating, especially since some of the people at the City will advise you based on one set of rules, and someone else will advise based on another set. Not too big a deal for me, since I have a 132 foot Houston Heights lot with an original bungalow on it, but in Sunset Heights, where the lots are only 100 feet, there is much less wiggle room.

Actually the lot is 120' x 50 but I would like to keep the garage as far as possible from the house. Nothing worse than stepping onto your back porch and looking at a wall...

I like your thinking!

Actually the lot is 120' x 50 but I would like to keep the garage as far as possible from the house. Nothing worse than stepping onto your back porch and looking at a wall...

Actually, there is plenty worse, like looking at the backside of your neighbor's rusted sheet metal garage, which is exactly why I am moving my new garage over behind my house. But, I readily acknowledge that it is all a matter of individual preference. By moving my garage behind the house, I will be able to build a backyard courtyard, replacing the boring lawn that I currently have. But, prior to deciding to go that route, I was all about exploring ways to keep the garage on the lot line to preserve the yard.

The interesting thing is that most of my best ideas came to me after I demo'd the old garage and had a wide open yard to look at and design around. With the old garage sitting there, my mind was constantly drawn to keeping it there. The 'blank canvas' effect, I suppose.

I know what you mean, it is difficult to visualize things sometimes. Actually the reason I bought this property was because of the layout. The garage is directly behind the house and has a small carport on its left. The entire rear of the house has a 8' fence and a sliding electric gate. I really like the fact that I could have my garage open yet no one on the street can see in it (easily) Ive lived in the Heights before and currently in Rice Military and have gotten hit by the garage bandits at both. I also like the openness of the car port on one side. I like it so much that rather than building a two car garage I would like to build a really deep one car and keep the carport overhang if possible.