HAIF:Maps

editor

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm really excited about the prospect of this, Editor. I can now see maps in threads, but I can't mark. It freezes up.

You've got to be more specific. What freezes up? Your computer? The web page? Your browser? By "Freezes up" does that mean you can't click the "Mark" button? Does it mean you can't drag the map around? Can you zoom? Do you see the map at all? What kind of computer do you have? What browser are you running? What version?

Looks like it is working as designed on my IE8 at home. I can see Pittsburgh, and can move the location around. It's fan-freakin-tastic!

eta: I tried to add a map to the thread "why is the Heights so popular" just now. It looked like it was going to work, but then got hung up on the refresh page. I finally had to go back to the site fresh, and then find the thread myself. It added the map, but it wasn't the location I chose. So, sort of working, but sort of not.

Looks like it is working as designed on my IE8 at home. I can see Pittsburgh, and can move the location around. It's fan-freakin-tastic!

eta: I tried to add a map to the thread "why is the Heights so popular" just now. It looked like it was going to work, but then got hung up on the refresh page. I finally had to go back to the site fresh, and then find the thread myself. It added the map, but it wasn't the location I chose. So, sort of working, but sort of not.

It seems to sometimes get upset if people move the map and don't adjust the zoom, or if people only adjust the zoom and don't move the map. Is that what happened to you? I put a little hoodilie in there to pick a default "Houston" location if it gets confused, but apparently it's not always working.

Please keep testing and letting me know.

Thanks for letting me know. The number of people who visit HAIF with IE6 is in the tens of thousands, so it's important to get this straightened out.

From what I've read, IE6 has many many problems. What a lot of people do is simply try to detect if someone's using IE6 and then disable certain features for them. Sadly, I might have to do that here.

Yes.... At home it worked on IE8; at work with IE6 no show.

^ I honestly can't imagine using IE6 unless forced to. No tabbed browsing, lousy Java support, etc. The first thing I did on my work PC was download and install FireFox. However, some companies do not allow employees to install any additional software, so for them there is no other choice.

It seems to sometimes get upset if people move the map and don't adjust the zoom, or if people only adjust the zoom and don't move the map. Is that what happened to you? I put a little hoodilie in there to pick a default "Houston" location if it gets confused, but apparently it's not always working.

Please keep testing and letting me know.

It actually wouldn't let me zoom very easily. The +/- icon usually present in the upper left-hand corner wasn't there, and I had to resort to double-clicking to zoom in (didn't even know that was an option). It was clunky to say the least, so I wasn't surprised it didn't post properly. I'm on IE7 at the office and cannot see the map, only a blank space. Keep at it, though, because this is so valuable.

Archived