Architecture Tour Featuring MacKie And Kamrath Homes

GoAtomic

Thought everyone would be interested to hear - the Alpha Gamma Delta 2005 Home Tour, featuring several homes by Mackie & Kamrath (billed as Houston's own Frank Lloyd Wright) is scheduled for May 14th & 15th, 1-5 pm. :)

This tour is featuring several homes in River Oaks, two churches, a small and a large office building. I was told that two of the properties will have the associated architects present to answer related questions.

The tour is open to the public, and the $15 admission (which goes to charity foundations) covers all buildings on the tour. Admission can be purchased at any of the homes (not sure about the other properties) or in advance.

Please see this link http://tinypic.com/4q0b34 for addresses of the homes, plus schedule & ticket details.

They're encouraging a good turnout, and I was asked to 'bring lots and lots of people'.

I'm looking forward to it, but between the trip to Temple (Saturday) and the Mackie & Kamrath tour, we H-Mods will be very busy! We'll definitely make it on Sunday.

They should post their ad in the general forums as well, if they haven't. Mackie & Kamrath should be of interest to all architecture buffs, not just the mod ones.

Jason

Thought everyone would be interested to hear - the Alpha Gamma Delta 2005 Home Tour, featuring several homes by Mackie & Kamrath (billed as Houston's own Frank Lloyd Wright) is scheduled for May 14th & 15th, 1-5 pm.  :)

This tour is featuring several homes in River Oaks, two churches, a small and a large office building.  I was told that two of the properties will have the associated architects present to answer related questions.

The tour is open to the public, and the $15 admission (which goes to charity foundations) covers all buildings on the tour.  Admission can be purchased at any of the homes (not sure about the other properties) or in advance.

Please see this link http://tinypic.com/4q0b34 for addresses of the homes, plus schedule & ticket details.

They're encouraging a good turnout, and I was asked to 'bring lots and lots of people'.

I'm looking forward to it, but between the trip to Temple (Saturday) and the Mackie & Kamrath tour, we H-Mods will be very busy!

I also noticed the timing of the Wilson House tour that Saturday - but I just sent an email yesterday to sign up for the trip, no way I'm going to miss it. The web tour for it is just too enticing ...

http://www.wilsonart.com/corporate/history...use_history.asp

A busy weekend, for sure, but I can't wait!!

Was this pre-dumpster? There was some mowing done on Monday and a dumpster delivered, so it's already got a different look to it. Feel free to have a look around, but introduce yourself if someone sees you. This week we're clearing out a bunch of bad studs and sheetrock and taking the tile off the bathrooms, carpet off the floor, figuring out the cracks in the brick, taking off siding... Most of the demo work. It's going well, and I'm trying to not question my sanity every 10 minutes. "I'm not crazy for buying this mess" is my mantra.

Jason

I'm looking forward to it, but between the trip to Temple (Saturday) and the Mackie & Kamrath tour, we H-Mods will be very busy!  We'll definitely make it on Sunday.

They should post their ad in the general forums as well, if they haven't. Mackie & Kamrath should be of interest to all architecture buffs, not just the mod ones.

Jason

Yellow bug? You mean a car? I wonder who that was.

Today they are starting to re-frame, put new studs up where the old eaten out ones are. I have a feeling that is going to be more expensive than I thought, as they found several more studs to replace than originally thought, and it's labor intensive to do it.

Electrical is next, and I'm very excited about that because we're doing a lot to improve the house there. I'm walking a thin line between restoring and remodelling though, so I hope to be respectful and not cross the line. But the house needs some updating in the wiring and lighting!

Jason

It was pre-dumpster I believe. There was a yellow bug out front. I've been following your posts over at lottaliving. Unfortunately I havent really had anything to add. Its all new to me too.

Aye, there was a Yellow Volkswagon parked at the little dead end there.

Next time I'm in your area I may poke around some... maybe even ding-dong ditch :P

I just had my floors torn down to the slab and stained. The biggest hassel was having to get a plumber to get under the slab to shorten up the toilet piping. Some brilliant soul had them set the seal on top of the tile in there. Argh!

Great job on the staining. I'll take some pics once I repaint the baseboards.. they are looking pretty shaggy atm.

• 3 weeks later...

48 Tiel Way was my favorite. The Dr. Beasley house. It seemed to be the least undone or redone and very well cared for. The water features were great too. He had a lot of collections though that made the house somewhat cluttered.

The house that is being renovated was inspirational for us too since we're doing renovations. The owners of that house seemed to be the most interested in "mod furnishings" with their Poulssen artichoke lamp and Eames recliner.

All in all, great to see those houses.

Jason

• The title was changed to Architecture Tour Featuring MacKie And Kamrath Homes

Archived