what will a 20' garage door cost me?

I have an open carport that I'd like to make more secure. The opening is 20' wide. Does anyone have an idea of what a garage door installation will cost?

what about if I use one of those commercial style steel mesh grates instead of a door?

Thanks!

I have an open carport that I'd like to make more secure. The opening is 20' wide. Does anyone have an idea of what a garage door installation will cost?

what about if I use one of those commercial style steel mesh grates instead of a door?

Thanks!

I paid just over $1,000 for a new 16-foot by 7-foot steel door and track with a new electric operator. It works just fine and withstood Ike with no problems. The house is about 2 miles from the western edge of Galveston Bay and about a mile north of Clear Lake and that area was hit hard by the storm. My door is not insulated. That can be added for a few extra hundred dollars but should not be necessary for a carport.

The "mesh grate" or coiling grille you mention is a commercial product and definitely much more expensive. Also, it coils into a roll above the opening so would require more head room and may require stronger structure to support it than what you have presently. It would look very nice though.

If you have room for it you might consider an automatic gate instead. The standard double-width overhead sectional garage door is 16 feet wide. You would have to do something to close off the additional two feet on each side of your 20 foot opening. that is why a gate might work better and should be better suited to being out in the weather.