Bike Lanes On Heights Blvd.

On that road, many people turn left at various intersections and you can get around them on the right when they're stopped. I think the road must widen at cross streets. I believe people realize that it's two lane and that the red car's intent is that (s)he'll be turning left ahead.

I don't think it is "meant" for them to get around on the right. If so, there would be appropriate striping.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On that road, many people turn left at various intersections and you can get around them on the right when they're stopped. I think the road must widen at cross streets. I believe people realize that it's two lane and that the red car's intent is that (s)he'll be turning left ahead.

Nah, in that section (Sunset heading north) there are no left turns until it splits a ways up at Main. Unless they're going to the president's house, which they ain't :)

So is your issue on Rice/Sunset that people are blocking the road off from allowing bicyclists to pass when they attempt to go around someone turning left, or that they're actually running people off the road?

I have observed folks bicycling alongside traffic to the far left and when traffic slows/stops and they don't, sometimes they have to jump the curb, screech to a stop, or accidentally hit the curb when coming up behind a car hugging the curb. I haven't seen any cyclists to the left of the cars or in the middle of the lane.

My issue is more of a curiosity of anxious lane splitters, but it directly affects bicyclists on the road.

Thanks for posting that Emme!

I noted earlier in this thread, but it may have gotten lost in the bike vs. driver feuding... I also heard from Peter Brown's office, who forwarded the information to both HPD and the Houston Bikeways cooridnator. HPD also followed up. All around a very nice response. It should be appreciated!

Thanks for posting that Emme!

I noted earlier in this thread, but it may have gotten lost in the bike vs. driver feuding... I also heard from Peter Brown's office, who forwarded the information to both HPD and the Houston Bikeways cooridnator. HPD also followed up. All around a very nice response. It should be appreciated!

Goes to show, we have a voice, we just need to remember to use it.

That's great news!

Also a reminder to us cyclists to STOP at the stop signs and lights. Especially if there's going to be more enforcement. I, um, got reprimanded by a policeman near Rice a few weeks ago for coasting through a 4-way.

Riding on sidewalks is not always illegal. This is from the city of Houston's website:

"Can I ride my bike on the sidewalk? It is acceptable to ride on the sidewalk under certain conditions, except in a business zone. A business zone is the territory that includes the contiguous 600 ft. along the roadway where there are buildings in use for business or industrial purposes that occupy 300 feet collectively on both sides of the roadway. Remember that pedestrians have the right-of-way."

That includes downtown and some commercial thoroughfares, but leaves a lot of sidewalks where biking is allowed. I ride (and see others riding) on sidewalks all the time up and down Westheimer, Richmond, Dairy Ashford, Memorial, Wilcrest, Kirkwood and other streets and have been passed many, many times by police cruisers without incident. They may ticket you in downtown, but further out I suspect the police have bigger fish to fry than bikes on sidewalks. I think if you do it resposibly (no wheelies down sidewalks crowded with pedestrians, please!) you won't have any problems.

Has anyone out there ever been ticketed or warned by police not to ride on sidewalks? If so, where?

It seems others have already said what I was going to, re legality of sidewalks and bicycles, and when you think about the numbers, there are surprisingly few places you can't ride on the sidewalk, business has to be on both sides of the street for 300 ft collectively.

Anyway, when I lived on the west side of town, I wouldn't dare get in the streets except to cross them, now being close to town, I don't dare get on the sidewalk for fear of losing my tires, or worse, tacoing a rim, or going over the handlebars on these horrible sidewalks. Thankfully, people that drive Leeland seem to be courteous, and sparse, which makes sharing the road easy.

• The title was changed to Bike Lanes On Heights Blvd.

Archived