Bad Real Estate Agents

Mark Resident

I recently had a bad experience with a local realtor. Are we allowed to discuss this type of issue in this forum?

this is totally new for me...

Thanks

Yessir, there is one realtor, I can't remember her name, but she is evidently famous for how bad she is. I'm sure someone will chime in with her name.

The easiest thing is to tell us about your experience, but not use any names. That way I don't have to get any more phone calls from real estate agents who (wrongly) think they can sue me for what people write on HAIF (in reality I'm protected by federal law).

If you're interested in venting about a bad experience, then do it without mentioning a name.

If you're trying to warn people about a specific bad apple, then be sure to read and re-read what you've written to make sure you're only stating facts, and when possible back up your assertions with documentation.

Posting, "Joe Sixpack is a crappy realtor who molests collies" does no good for anyone.

Posting, "Joe Sixpack is under investigation by the state, and here's a link to the investigation" is significantly better.

Fair enough...

I purchased the last remaining unit at the Mark back in September. It is a small penthouse unit. I made an appointment with the listing agent at the Mark and he didn't show. This agent is pretty high profile and handled most of the Mark sales. He (and his company, which he is the "president" of) are now handling all of the sales for another nearby galleria condo conversion. So after he didn't show, as luck would have it, another agent who lives in the building was showing a unit and just happened to walk past me just as I was getting ready to leave. He ended up showing me the unit and I subsequently purchased it. Needless to say the listing agent lost half of his commission (about 10 grand) so I suppose their is some poetic justice there... As for the agent who walked by, he is great. His name is Ben Ho and he really went the extra mile for me as I was a novice about real estate transactions. He now lists a townhouse I own in the Sharptstown area for sale in case anyone is interested (pardon the shameless plug...)

We had an inspection the day before we closed on the unit. The floor in the unit is completely covered in slate, which is pretty but was poorly installed. My agent immediately noticed it and started asking questions. After it became apparent that much of the tile was poorly installed (loose and/or hollowsounding) the listing agent reassured me that it would be fixed after closing. It was also noted on the inspection paperwork that the unit needed to be cleaned. To make a long story short, he never followed up on anything. He doesn't return phone calls, respond to emails, and even told my Agent in a phone conversation several months later that he would do something, and he never did. He is just your typical jerk that once he got his money, he just doesn't care, and will say anything to you just to get you out of his face.

I would say that around 10 to 15% of the tile has problems. Plus, there is alot of other installation work that looks awful, like the baseboards that don't match up to the tile (leaving gaps big enough to stick your fingers in) along with alot of other small, sloppy finishing work.

I also discovered that the square footage was advertised around 200 ft larger than the unit actually is, which, I now understand happens alot in this industry.

Anyway, I suppose that I have some recourse against him but like most people who probably participate in this forum, I work hard and alot of hours and I just don't have the time and the dollar cost of repairs would probably just end up in some lawyers pocket anyway.

Just be careful of this guy if you choose to do business with him. He is not truthful and he is unreliable. Once he has his money, he will say anything just to get you off his back.

Had I been smarter (and I am now, I think...) I would have insisted that everything be fixed before closing, even if it resulted in a delay.

Anyway, I suppose that I have some recourse against him but like most people who probably participate in this forum, I work hard and alot of hours and I just don't have the time and the dollar cost of repairs would probably just end up in some lawyers pocket anyway.

you would only have recourse against the agent if you had this all in a contract... so you probably have no recourse. why would an agent agree to fix tile?

the good news is you could possibly have a case against the builder/remodeler/installer...

you would only have recourse against the agent if you had this all in a contract... so you probably have no recourse. why would an agent agree to fix tile?

the good news is you could possibly have a case against the builder/remodeler/installer...

Yup - put everything in the contract. It may annoy the Real Estate agent, but if it is not in the contract, it doesn't exist.

For example, the house we're offering on has DirecTV. I am putting in the contract the seller will cancel the contract, remove the equipment, and settle any outstanding charges with them before closing.

Why? I've heard horror stories about DirectTV, and I don't want them coming after me and my only defense is 'he said he'd take care of it'

Had I been smarter (and I am now, I think...) I would have insisted that everything be fixed before closing, even if it resulted in a delay.

Live and learn. With new construction or resale, owners have little incentive to fix anything once they get their check.

Your agent should have gotten all of the repairs agreed to in writing and completed before closing. If the seller's didn't want to do the repairs or felt there wasn't time, you should have settled on a monetary value in lieu of repairs.

I figured out who you were talking about through the MLS.

This guy specializes in condos over in that area and used to be the on-site sales guy for The Mark and The Lofts on Post Oak.

Generally, these guys who deal with hundreds of units at any given time are not too concerned with any individual sale. They just want to get the places sold.

Think of them as car dealers in that manner. The promise you the world but don't follow up after the sale.

This is why it's so important to get everything they say in writing.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. If it's any consolation, it looks like you purchased a beautiful unit!

No... it's not her. He currently has a unit listed at the Mark. It is an unfinished penthouse unit (next door to mine) for about 600K. I feel sorry for who ever buys that thing...

What's wrong with it? It is obviously unfinished, but I was going to put an offer in on that unit. I, of course, would be doing the work myself and not through their company.

What's wrong with it? It is obviously unfinished, but I was going to put an offer in on that unit. I, of course, would be doing the work myself and not through their company.

Actually, there is nothing wrong with it... It's a pretty cool space with three stories on the 30 thru 32 floors and a nice view of the galleria. I just would hate to be relying on a dishonest broker to facilitate the sale and subsequent buildout. If you go into it with your eyes wide open and, perhaps, have someone else build it out for you then you might be ok. Just double check everything; square footage, etc. and not rely on anything this man says because he is a BS'er

By the way, it has been on the market for several years. In the beginning they were asking close a million for it. Every 6 months or so they chop off another 50 grand give or take. I think part of the problem is it's a little too much condo for this building, even if it is nice. By the time you get it built out you are looking at close to a million bucks in a building where anything rarely sells for more than 300K. If I had a million to spend I would probably go over to the Cosmo or maybe even 2727 kirby. There is a completed unit across the way that is identical (three stories 4000 sqfeet, same floor plan) that is gorgeous and for sale at $999k. It took several years to sale too. They started at 1.4 million and finally sold it for $835K back in 07. They don't have the gallaria view but its a very nice unit if you want to check it out on HAR.com.

Nothing wrong with the mark though but it is not that upscale and the building is beginning to show its age. I went to my first board annual meeting last week and was impressed. We have reasonably good management too.

looks like a cool space.

I'm not sure I would want to pay the $1,000+ condo fees associated with it though.

The condo fees are insanely cheap for that size unit. One of the reasons is because they do not count the third floor (or the roof) in the calculation. Incidentally, the roof space use to not be included in the sale of this unit.

Actually, there is nothing wrong with it... It's a pretty cool space with three stories on the 30 thru 32 floors and a nice view of the galleria. I just would hate to be relying on a dishonest broker to facilitate the sale and subsequent buildout. If you go into it with your eyes wide open and, perhaps, have someone else build it out for you then you might be ok. Just double check everything; square footage, etc. and not rely on anything this man says because he is a BS'er

By the way, it has been on the market for several years. In the beginning they were asking close a million for it. Every 6 months or so they chop off another 50 grand give or take. I think part of the problem is it's a little too much condo for this building, even if it is nice. By the time you get it built out you are looking at close to a million bucks in a building where anything rarely sells for more than 300K. If I had a million to spend I would probably go over to the Cosmo or maybe even 2727 kirby. There is a completed unit across the way that is identical (three stories 4000 sqfeet, same floor plan) that is gorgeous and for sale at $999k. It took several years to sale too. They started at 1.4 million and finally sold it for $835K back in 07. They don't have the gallaria view but its a very nice unit if you want to check it out on HAR.com.

Nothing wrong with the mark though but it is not that upscale and the building is beginning to show its age. I went to my first board annual meeting last week and was impressed. We have reasonably good management too.

I certainly don't think it is worth the asking price. One of the major problems is that it is 4000+ Sf spread over three floors. If it was on one floor it would have sold a long time ago.

Actually what has held me back from low balling the unit--my usually course--is the damned door man. I hate that guy. He is horribly rude and should be fired immediately. While trying to show one of the units he couldn't get off his cell phone long enough to push in the coded entry for the penthouse level and acted like I was inconveniencing him! The ridiculous part is when he did it a second time with a second client.

Archived