Safari 4

Like:

Top Sites (better implementation than Opera)

Faster loading

Faster rendering

More organized web site suggestions in address bar

Dislike:

New Loading spinny thing instead of background color bar

Too professional looking

Muted colors

Muted RSS indicator

Corners too rounded (tabs, drop-downs, etc...)

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Like:

Top Sites (better implementation than Opera)

Faster loading

Faster rendering

More organized web site suggestions in address bar

Dislike:

New Loading spinny thing instead of background color bar

Too professional looking

Muted colors

Muted RSS indicator

Corners too rounded (tabs, drop-downs, etc...)

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Leaving work to update when I get home.

Will let you know.

Yay WWDC!

I'm digging it... seems significantly faster, and I have already become accustomed to using the Top Sites functionality.

The new loading bar thing is kind of strange though.

Takes some of the round cues from the iPhone Safari.

All and all, I like it.

I'm loving it but I've been using Safari 4 beta for months now and I'm not seeing many new features - although better speed and stability than the beta is awesome.

Well, I've been happily using Safari 4 beta, but Safari 4 final is broken for me. The bookmarks bar is gone, the scroll bars are gone, and windows are way too wide with a big blank area on the left and center, and all the content on the far right, out of sight, with no way to scroll to it. Thank goodness for Firefox. Top Sites is badly distorted and again, most of them are hidden. This is independent of screen resolution settings.

They moved the tabs again !!

I saw that. I never used the beta version so I never got a chance to get used to them being in the title bar. I like the tabs below, near where the action is.

I just noticed that the URL fades out as it disappears below the RSS badge. And the Stop/Reload button is now also in the address bar. And there's a new tab button ("+") in the tab bar. I usually just press Apple-T, so to me it's wasted space.

Okay, my overall impression of Safari 4 is positive. The improvements are like touching up the blemishes of an already good product. They didn't mess with what was good, but it definitely seems snappier, which I'm glad to see since I usually have lots of windows and tabs open. The interface is very minimalist, but most of what I need is in the right place. I'm still getting used to seeing the "Top Sites" page though.

And there's a new tab button ("+") in the tab bar. I usually just press Apple-T, so to me it's wasted space.

I just noticed that you can also double click the blank space to the left of the "+" to open a new tab.

The orange back arrow that you used to be able to click to return to your Google results if the link you chose wasn't good is gone.

When you have more tabs than will fit in the tab bar, the expanded list down the side now has the off-bar tabs shaded to indicate they're not clickable from the main bar.

The orange back arrow that you used to be able to click to return to your Google results if the link you chose wasn't good is gone.

That was SnapBack, one of the most heavily touted features in Safari when that version was released. I'm surprised it's no longer in the address box. It will appear in the Google search box after you delve into a search. That's not much help when accessing a web site directly though. I liked the old placement better. The only alternative I can find is to click and hold the back button to skip back several pages.

Well, I've been happily using Safari 4 beta, but Safari 4 final is broken for me. The bookmarks bar is gone, the scroll bars are gone, and windows are way too wide with a big blank area on the left and center, and all the content on the far right, out of sight, with no way to scroll to it. Thank goodness for Firefox. Top Sites is badly distorted and again, most of them are hidden. This is independent of screen resolution settings.

I've found a workaround. I've been using 800 x 600 screen resolution. If I go to a higher resolution when opening a new window, it will display correctly and then I can go back to 800 x 600. It's fine on my iMac G5 with the much higher resolution screen. Looks like Apple broke 800 x 600 support in Safari.

I've found a workaround. I've been using 800 x 600 screen resolution. If I go to a higher resolution when opening a new window, it will display correctly and then I can go back to 800 x 600. It's fine on my iMac G5 with the much higher resolution screen. Looks like Apple broke 800 x 600 support in Safari.

I wonder if it's Safari, or 10.5.7. I just checked the resolution widget in the title bar, and 800x600 is no longer an option. For some reason I only have 640x480, 1280x1024, and 1920x1200 now.

I wonder if it's Safari, or 10.5.7. I just checked the resolution widget in the title bar, and 800x600 is no longer an option. For some reason I only have 640x480, 1280x1024, and 1920x1200 now.

Hmmm, interesting. I'm using 10.4.11, though. I corresponded with a guy on the Apple discussion forums who was pretty bent because he has a clamshell iBook which only supports 800 x 600, so he can't use this workaround.

• 2 weeks later...

You couldn't even post a snap of your own Safari page, you had to steal one from Gawker?

Lame.

SafariTopSites2009061901.jpg

Real men know how to Grab.

And since I know Puma will be curious... here's a legend:

(HAIF sister sites are linked)

1.1 HAIF server status

1.2 Facebook

1.3 Glass Steel and Stone

1.4 HAIF administrator functions

1.5 Artefaqs database administration

1.6 http://www.Towrs.com

2.1 Twitter