garage door - remote control

I just bought a house that does not have the remote control of the garage door. Can you please tell me what do I need to look for (model type?) and where I can buy one?

Thanks.

Look for the make and model number of the garage door opener. Post here.

I just bought a remote... if its a newer style opener with the programming button button on the back, then its super easy.

BTW, garage remotes are supposed to come with the house... they are not supposed to be removed when a house is sold. You may want to contact your agent, or the seller's agent and request remotes.

They are only $20 each or so, but its the principle of the matter.

I just bought a house that does not have the remote control of the garage door. Can you please tell me what do I need to look for (model type?) and where I can buy one?

Thanks.

Not quite as easy as the last post stated depending on how old the garage is. If it is old, then you need to get a ladder and look at the unit hanging in the garage. The thing you are looking for is usually near the light, and it is a little toggle box with a certain number of switches. You need to count the number of switches and buy the corresponding remote. Then you need to match the remote's switches and opener's switches in order for the remote to open the door.

Also, regardless of whether you have the new digital style with the learning remote or the old style with the dip switches, you should always change the code to the garage door opener when you move to a new house. Basically the same precaution as changing the locks.

If it's the old style with the dip switches, just change them to a new pattern so old remotes will no longer work. Flipping only one switch will do the trick. On my newer digital opener, you just hold the little button down for several seconds and it resets the code. Better to do this now, don't wait until you get the new remote.