Currently, my water heater is in a utility room in the center of the house, but part of the re-plumbing will be to replace it with a tankless water heater that will be mounted in the attic, but still above the utility room. Once the water heater is out of the utility room, I will put shelves/cabinets in its place to give more storage. Basically, my only "open" wall is shared with a bathroom that has its plumbing running through the same wall. But I guess that might not be too bad, as it would mean I would just need to run a couple of feet of tubing for those fixtures. If the manifold were to be in the utility room, it would need to be mounted inside the wall cavity with a cover over it because you have to walk through the utility room to access the bedroom/bathroom on that end of the house (this was all originally a 1 car attached garage)

Originally, I was thinking about using the Vanguard/manabloc system, but if I use the Wirsbo/Propex system, I think I the manifold could fit between two studs. I am leaning towards the propex system because I think the connection is more reliable than some other methods and the tool is fairly reasonable.

• 1 year later...

Actually PEX is quite better than some other pipes for water lines. It is cheaper and easier to install by plumbers. It is safer for re-plumbing an old house that has a quite complicated water line system.

While all of what you say may be true, I have found old houses to generally have very uncomplicated water systems for the simple reason that they had fewer plumbing fixtures than today's houses. Pier and beam houses have much easier access to plumbing lines than most slab homes as well.

Archived