More U.S. airports add rail service to downtown

citykid09

More U.S. airports add rail service to downtown

By Roger Yu, USA TODAY

airrail2x-large.jpg

Portland, Ore., is among major metropolitan cities in the USA to have a public rail system that runs from the city's center to the airport. The number of travelers using Portland Metro's service to the airport grew 7.7% in 2008.

Riding the rails between downtown and the airport is becoming a reality for more U.S. travelers.

With their roadways jammed with cars and shuttles, a growing number of domestic airports are building or have plans for a rail link that will connect passengers from the terminals to regional metro-rail systems, allowing road warriors and vacationers to ditch their cars.

"There is a consensus building that this is a desirable piece of overall strategy to deal with ground transportation challenges," says Matthew Coogan, director of New England Transportation Institute who has written extensively about the subject.

Direct rail connections to Seattle-Tacoma and Dallas Love Field are expected to open later this year. Other large airports with an approved rail project that will be completed in the next few years: Salt Lake City, Phoenix Sky Harbor, Miami, Dallas/Fort Worth and Oakland.

Full Article: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/200...er_N.htm?csp=34

METRO has plans for the North Line to extent to IAH in Phase 3 of the METRO Solutions plan. Don't expect it before 2020 though.

What is METRO thinking?? Do they really think that the population will be able to wait until 2020 for these outward extensions? Theyre out of their mind because those areas will be much denser by that time and we just cant hold up on a rail extension that is already about 15 years overdue

What is METRO thinking?? Do they really think that the population will be able to wait until 2020 for these outward extensions? Theyre out of their mind because those areas will be much denser by that time and we just cant hold up on a rail extension that is already about 15 years overdue

Actually, aside from the commercial components of Greenspoint, very little other than warehouses gets built anymore between downtown and IAH. It's just not a very desirable area.

Aldine ISD is building new schools in the area in its territory immediately south of the airport. Marcella Intermediate (16250 Cotillion) is in the Greenspoint district; it opened in 2007. During that same year the district's bond election passed; a total of 626 residents voted in favor. I will say again: The bond passed with 626 voting in favor. http://blogs.chron.com/schoolzone/2007/05/...counts_f_1.html

Actually, aside from the commercial components of Greenspoint, very little other than warehouses gets built anymore between downtown and IAH. It's just not a very desirable area.

Aldine ISD is building new schools in the area in its territory immediately south of the airport. Marcella Intermediate (16250 Cotillion) is in the Greenspoint district; it opened in 2007.

Read more closely. The phrase "very little" has a different meaning than the term "nothing".

Well, yes, but a school opening shows that there was a growth in residential occupancy of an area. I don't know where to find lists of building permits by date, but I would imagine there was some growth in housing units.

Read more closely. The phrase "very little" has a different meaning than the term "nothing".

Well, yes, but a school opening shows that there was a growth in residential occupancy of an area. I don't know where to find lists of building permits by date, but I would imagine there was some growth in housing units.

Yeah, probably "some," which is still not the same as "none."

I'd suspect that there have been a few Tax Credit apartment complexes built in the vicinity, but that any increase in the numbers of school-age children have a lot more to do with that these areas are becoming populated by poorer households (especially as older folks that aged in place are dying off) and that poor households have more kids.

Unless I am mistaken isn't there plans to add light rail from U-H to Hobby? That area is ripe for transit since their are alot of lo income apartment complexes in that vincinity.

Actually, yes. That route is low-hanging fruit, and it is one that isn't as easily duplicated by express bus as is the route between downtown and IAH.

However, the plans are still entirely conceptual. There's nothing in the works for the time being.

First, the costs, and Niche is right, there's no real significant ridership generator or attractor between downtown and IAH that would give that line a priority over some of the others that are next. It also an accepted notion in the transit field that lines to airports are not typically successful. I also agree that if service to airports is such a high goal, the quickest one (if only because its closer) to go to is Hobby. Nevertheless, the delay could maybe provide opportunity for real dialogue and decisions on actual higher speed service to the airports (at least IAH since it's over 20 miles away) when the time time is right. And higher speed doesn't necessarily mean another technology as much as it means maybe grade separating more of the North Corridor extension.

Note also that the cities in those articles are mentioning connections from downtowns to airports that are a whole lot closer in distance than IAH is to downtown. Furthermore, with the exception of Dallas, they are connecting to their one major airport as well.

This will probably never happen in Houston. Hell, we have more pressing concerns with legislators from foreing cities like El Paso attempting to kill what little rail we have planned.

Furthermore, I've taken advantage of airport rail lines in many cities, particularly in Europe. And, yes, it's cheaper and somewhat convenient for a solo/ business traveler to take the CTA from O'Hare to the Loop or the Metro from Reagan National to downtown D.C., etc. However, it's even more convenient (and probably safer depending on the time of day) to just take a cab or rent a car. This won't change until oil marches past $200 barrel sometime in 2013. By that time the cost of building rail in cities like Houston will become untenable even though it's arguably needed more than ever. People will just have to dust off their bikes!

Having used the service, I just want to state that METRO's Airport Direct is a real victory for Houston. I hope that we keep it around, and/or improve it so that we can grow the service to make it a more viable alternative.

I do believe Houston will eventually have a rail connection from downtown to the airport. But blogging about it is not going to get it built. People in our city have to sow the seeds for these things. USE the Airport Direct service, or hop on the 102!! Short of a slew of massive corporate donations, the only way that this connection will become a priority is if METRO and the state of Texas sees a need for it through INCREASED RIDERSHIP!!!

I also agree that if service to airports is such a high goal, the quickest one (if only because its closer) to go to is Hobby.

I don't think Continental would want to support a downtown rail line to Hobby, what with it being a Southwest Airline's hub. In fact, I would expect the to fight any such proposal.

Having used the service, I just want to state that METRO's Airport Direct is a real victory for Houston. I hope that we keep it around, and/or improve it so that we can grow the service to make it a more viable alternative.

I do believe Houston will eventually have a rail connection from downtown to the airport. But blogging about it is not going to get it built. People in our city have to sow the seeds for these things. USE the Airport Direct service, or hop on the 102!! Short of a slew of massive corporate donations, the only way that this connection will become a priority is if METRO and the state of Texas sees a need for it through INCREASED RIDERSHIP!!!

Good advice, but I think many people who'd be willing to take passenger rail to the airport might be less inclined to take a bus. Also, take into account that parking downtown isn't really any cheaper than parking off-site at IAH, so downtown airport service (bus or rail) is great for downtown workers but not so great for others who'd have to pay their own parking.

I don't think Continental would want to support a downtown rail line to Hobby, what with it being a Southwest Airline's hub. In fact, I would expect the to fight any such proposal.

I would imagine CO would say "If you build it to Hobby, build it to IAH too" - And for good reason

Good advice, but I think many people who'd be willing to take passenger rail to the airport might be less inclined to take a bus. Also, take into account that parking downtown isn't really any cheaper than parking off-site at IAH, so downtown airport service (bus or rail) is great for downtown workers but not so great for others who'd have to pay their own parking.

But people can connect to the airport direct from other routes in town. They don't have to park their cars in Downtown. METRORail announces the location of the airport direct service, for instance.

Depends on what you consider "downtown". I never park downtown if I can help it. For my latest trip, I actually parked at my church's parking lot, which is on the rail line, and just let them know how long the car would be there. They have a full-time staff of security guards, so I knew the car would be safe for the duration of the trip. So my total parking and transportation costs turned out to be $32.50 ($2.50 for MetroRail, and $30 for the Airport Direct).

Archived