New column on old bungalow advice

I bought an old bungalow from the Heights and had it moved to my property. It was sliced in half, then the entire roof removed (thank you, City of Houston), and the porches were destroyed (then the interior of the house was, thanks to Ike and no roof). The front porch had a brick column with a wooden pillar on top of it. I know the column wasn't solid brick, but need to know if any of you have rebuilt one and what you used inside to support the weight. Thanks for any advice, besides scrapping the project and building a new one. :rolleyes:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g301/dob...08-1-600051.jpg

That's what I'm using as a support, since the movers didn't put anything in place as they stated they would. So if it is strong enough (it's pressure treated), I think I can add another stack of blocks (pier), the new decking, then use the existing post and build a box to brick around. The old porch had a cut-out for the column, but I can't figure out how they did it with the beam being right underneath.

The $3,500 quote to build the column and put in new decking and railing is a bit more than I want to pay with all of the other unexpected costs (no insurance). Thank you!

:wacko:

The original brick column was likely hollow, and had pockets for beams/ joists for the porch deck structure. The mason would have closed up the top of the brick column to create a nice platform for whatever wood structural post was placed on top. Depending on the load, they sometimes used only 1x wood for a hollow wood column (4/4 thick so it was somewhat structural) without any extra 4x post within.

For the wood post, a regular 4x4 looks kind of spindly and unfinished. You might want to look around the neighborhood and see what original treatments were like. A tapered post on the brick base might be right, or 1x8 square. Today I would not rely on the 1x wood post to hold structure. Put a 4x4 inside. Make sure the 4x4 (or ganged up 2x6s) are nice and dry first or your new 1x post wood will warp. Most pressure treated wood today at home centers is soaking wet and will need weeks to dry out.

That's what I'm using as a support, since the movers didn't put anything in place as they stated they would. So if it is strong enough (it's pressure treated), I think I can add another stack of blocks (pier), the new decking, then use the existing post and build a box to brick around. The old porch had a cut-out for the column, but I can't figure out how they did it with the beam being right underneath.

The $3,500 quote to build the column and put in new decking and railing is a bit more than I want to pay with all of the other unexpected costs (no insurance). Thank you!

:wacko:

Thank you for the additional information. The 4x4 currently supporting the corner was put in back in late September/early October. I should still be able to use it as the support in the column/base, right? Also, I was able to rescue the existing tapered column and it is in very good condition (other than being light blue!). I planned on using it, too. It looks like the old brick column had wood (thin like plywood) on top as a base for the tapered post. Is this ok or should a different material be used for the new one?

Thanks again for the feedback. This has been a labor of love that the neighbors where my property is located do not understand. They are less than happy about an "old house" being moved to the neighborhood.

If the 4x4 is still straight you should be able to use it, unless you have some kind of massive 2 story load on that corner, which I don't think you have.

To use the tapered post you will need to separate it (carefully) to wrap it around the 4x4. Watch the lead paint.

If the post is going to be in the weather then I would avoid using a plywood base. Even treated plywood will delaminate over time. Use pressure treated 1x or 2x.

Good luck with the neighbors.

^Out of curiosity, to what area did you move it (where the neighbors are less than happy)?

Well, that's the funny part. It is in Montgomery County, the FM149/1488 area, and probably 80% of the "residences" in there are mobile homes! I am involved with dog rescue and decided to give up living in the burbs to have 5 acres in the boonies. It appeared that the new property owners in the subdivision were building houses and where my lot is located, there's a mobile home on one side and a very nice new home on the other, then all the rest down the street are site-built houses. The neighbor with the house is fascinated with the concept of a house being moved and they were very helpful after the hurricane hit it, the other neighbors (mostly in the mobile homes) are pretty rude and one was obnoxious at the annual meeting, wanting to know what my timeline was in completing the house, which was none of his business. They're all cronies and I received a letter from the POA, which was not a wise thing for them to do. Let's just say I responded to their letter, making them sign for it, and never received a response - which means they have no grounds for complaint until September 6, 2009 (1 year and 1 day after the house was placed on the property).

Just how I want to get started in a new neighborhood, FAR away from anything and everything, ha!

:P